Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Supply Lines and Zones of Control

Winterhawk

Curious. While playing the gold demo as the Allies, I felt after awhile that I was in a position to couterattack (after raping every non-French allied country of every unit I could get my hands on).

While war raged up north in the Low Countries, I took advantage of a complete lack of German presence in the south and advanced the two most southern French armies off the Maginot line and on to Munich, where I encountered Corp strength resistance.

I replaced these armies with rear guard Corps - one British, one Canadian. After my armies suffered unexpectedly high losses in the attack on Munich (I just learned all about HQ's in another thread), it was time to reinforce them. To my dismay, I couldn't.

A German unit had moved in opposite the most northeast section of the Maginot line, breaking the "blue" line that extended from there to my armies at Munich. The empty hexes immediately east of my two replacement Corp (Brits / Canucks) on the Maginot line were brown. Beyond that, they were blue clear through to Munich.

Sorry for the long post, but I get the sense from this that supply lines for any given countries forces can't be broken, even by an ally. True?

How then do you provide supply for units that you transport to either allied or enemy soil?

And on the subject of Zones of Control (ZOC), I'm used to the system incorporated by TOAW, whereby you were punished with losses when you travelled through or otherwise broke off from an enemy units ZOC. Not that I'm complaining, but there doesn't seem to be the same concern here, which would make sense given the larger scale of both the units and the hex sizes.

How is the ZOC determined though where supply lines are concerned? There certainly are cases where a particular unoccupied hex may border both yours and an enemy unit. What determines which unit excercises control?

I suppose that you couldn´t reinforce those units because they were out of range of any french city or not attached to any HQ, and because of that they were out of supply (without the ability to reinforce so).

[ July 21, 2002, 04:31 PM: Message edited by: KNac ]

I replaced these armies with rear guard Corps - one British, one Canadian. After my armies suffered unexpectedly high losses in the attack on Munich (I just learned all about HQ's in another thread), it was time to reinforce them. To my dismay, I couldn't.

Depending on your current unit strength you may not be able to reinforce them if your supply is too low.

but I get the sense from this that supply lines for any given countries forces can't be broken, even by an ally. True?
Supply lines can be any combination of hexes that you can trace back to either a city, fortification or HQ.

How then do you provide supply for units that you transport to either allied or enemy soil?

Bring an HQ or capture an enemy city as soon as possible

And on the subject of Zones of Control (ZOC), I'm used to the system incorporated by TOAW, whereby you were punished with losses when you travelled through or otherwise broke off from an enemy units ZOC. Not that I'm complaining, but there doesn't seem to be the same concern here, which would make sense given the larger scale of both the units and the hex sizes.

How is the ZOC determined though where supply lines are concerned? There certainly are cases where a particular unoccupied hex may border both yours and an enemy unit. What determines which unit excercises control?

I've never played TOAW, so I am not sure what you mean exactly by their system of ZOC, but if you do try and pass through two adjacent enemy units that does increase the Movement Cost by +1 point.

Hope that helps,

Hubert