German Army Seeks New Supply Sergeant for Southern Russia

santabear

I'm hoping some of the veteran gamers can help me with this one:

On several occasions I (Germans) reach Rostov before Sebastopol has fallen. If Rostov falls, and the Fritzes try to move into the Caucasus before they control all of the Crimea, their supply suffers. Usually, when Sebastopol falls, supply goes back to normal and the advance resumes.

In two recent games, though, I've had great difficulty restoring my Rostov HQ to normal supply values (8), even after controlling the Crimea. "HQ Rostov" languishes around 5, and the units are usually out of supply. The manual seems fairly clear about supply, and I think I've got everything right...but obviously the computer disagress.

Any suggestions? What are the most common mistakes that let units get out of supply?

NOTE: The Germans have hired a new supply sergeant already, and the units are resuming normal rations. Anyone interested in this topic should hop over to the "supply" thread. The answers are over there.

[ April 05, 2003, 04:51 AM: Message edited by: santabear ]

Jersey John, i believe someone needs your assistance.

I realy have no idea what i'm talking about, he posts alot on here so i assume he is somewhat competant at the game, but taking his advice could also lead to a Kursk like disaster....the fate of the EasternFront is at stake, what are ya going to do???

Gaylord

Thanks for the nod. The reason I didn't answer this topic is the Siberian Reserve conditions are just as much a mystery to me as to anyone else! I've just resigned a PBEM game where the Axis overran everything, destroying the Soviet units as quickly as I could produce them, reached Moscow and were within one shot of the Urals with nothing to stop them and Siberians still hadn't appeared.

Mentioning this in the other thread currently going on the subject, I speculated that if the Germans were any farther east they'd be able to fight the Siberians in Siberia itself!

Turns out the reason they may not have appeared is I was still holding Sevastopol and Rostov. Now, if you can lose Minsk, Smolensk, Riga, Kiev, Lenningrad, and Kharkov and you're army has been wiped out in ragtag defenses, I'd say the only thing that can save you is the sudden appearance of the Siberian Reserves. And being within 1 hex of Moscow is not a condition. I've had games where the Germans were several hexes from Moscow and the reserves appeared. If you have to wait till you're actually fighting for the capital it means those troops will be of very little use. It's too late to effectively rediploy them.

In scenarios I'm currently working on where the USSR is neutral I find myself assigning 650 MPPs for their immediate use.

In the other thread I suggest an alternative activation for the Siberian Reserves. After putting this reply up I'll copy the entry and past it here as well.

[ April 03, 2003, 06:02 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

[Copied from Sogard's Thread, "No Siberian Reinforcements!"]

I have a suggestion for Hubert, instead of this method, why not let the Soviet player press a panic button anytime beginning with the turn the Germans cross the Soviet Border (even if the USSR initiated the war).

The AI asks him what % of the Reserves he wants, he has a choice of 10% - 25% -50% and receives it at the start of the next turn. The larger the % the greater the chance of a Japanese Asian War. He can hit the panic button three times, eventually draining all the reserves, leaving him with a depleted force in Asia and a higher chance of war with Japan.

OR, he can wait till the Germans move further inland and each turn he waits will give a greater chance of getting the all clear sign, that Japan is planning to attack the USA and he can call for the Reserves without consequence. At which point he automatically receives the Maximum amount of reinforcement arriving in the Urals.

[ April 03, 2003, 06:03 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]