SC1 & SC2 Comments - Alternative History

Edwin P.

SC2 is now in Beta and I patiently (or impatiently) await to see the improved version of SC.

One of the unique features I really like about SC1 is how a players actions impacts the war readiness of other countries and their willingness to enter the war on one side or the other.

I would like to see SC2 expand on this allowing for the "option" of historically possible actions by nations that would change the strategic game while maintaining game balance.

What do I mean by this?

Example - What if the Baltic States, Sweden, and Norway have a chance to sign a Defense agreement after Germany attacks Poland. Attacking any one of them would mean attacking all of them. This option greatly changes the war for both sides.

Example - What if the US had the option to select a Japan first strategy when it enters the war. Fewer resources would be available to the US player in the early years (until Japan was defeated) but the Russian Siberian transfer would occur earlier.

Example - What if the US could choose an abandon the Pacific strategy. US production increases but the Russian Siberian transfer does not occur.

Example - What if Germany could select a Turkish Alliance before Italy enters the war. Turkey joins the Axis but Italy remains neutral. Another player choice that totally changes the game.

(Try it out by setting Turkey Joined Axis in the game editor and Italy to Neutral in the Game Options screen - Germany has a much harder time taking Vichy France, Spain and Egypt - at the same time with Italy neutral the British Navy controls the Med. and can block German transports)

German Strategy Selection - Choice box after Poland Surrenders.

1. Italian Alliance - Historical Strategy, Italy joins Axis normally.

2. Turkish Alliance - Italy remains Neutral, Turkey joins Axis instead of Italy.

US Strategy Selection - Choice Box When US Prepares for War

1. Europe First - Historical Strategy, Standard Game

2. Japan First - US Production reduced until Japan surrenders (late 1943+), Early Siberian Transfer

3. Abandon the Pacific - US Production increases, No Siberian Transfer

[ February 22, 2004, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]

Originally posted by Edwin P.:

One of the unique features I really like about SC1 is how a players actions impacts the war readiness of other countries and their willingness to enter the war on one side or the other.

That is not a unique feature. We've seen this before. Blablabla COS blablabla...