cheating AI?

Ronf

i cant believe! it seems not possible to take sweden before the last turn! i tried it several times form a loaded game. i attack with 5 armies, 6 airfleets and two strat bombers! i smash them on the one army sweden has outside its capital, but i cant bring this army down! (same i i triy it on the army in the capital) most attacks have zero-effect and the last ones brings it down to 1, so that its back to 7 in the next turn... it only works as expected in the last turn that ends with the "end of demo"-screen... im deeply concerned that this could be a cheeting ai, as it did not happen once but all the times i tried... shame on battelfront if they did to make it imüpossible to gain to much terrain in the demo to tease us for the full version!

[ July 06, 2002, 10:32 AM: Message edited by: Ronf ]

I can take Sweden in one turn in the Beta, though believe, from comments, this might change in the Gold edition. Here is how you do it:

Build/line up 3 airfleets on Norway's border with Sweden.

Move a cruiser where it will be able to bombard the Swedish unit in the Capitol.

Embark two Armies and one Corp.

On the turn you declare war:

1 The cruiser bombards the unit in the Capitol, sometimes reduces unit, but effects are cumulative

2 All three air units attack the Capitol

3 Land one Army north of capitol, move it one space to free up the beach, and attack

4 Land one Army south of capitol and attack

5 The Corps is insurance. Many times you will be able to walk into the Capitol with the second Army, but at times it is the second Army which finishes the unit off in the Capitol. If not it lands just north of Capitol and moves in.

The units are not wasted, the air units will fly back to northern Germany eventually providing three airfleets before Barbarossa. The land units can embark and be used in landings on Russian/Baltic states coast.

Of course this is all subject to change in Gold edition with, among other things, Riga being occupied. In this case the ground units can just transport back to northern Germany for Barbarossa

Marc

Originally posted by Ronf:

i cant believe! it seems not possible to take sweden before the last turn! i tried it several times form a loaded game. i attack with 5 armies, 6 airfleets and two strat bombers! i smash them on the one army sweden has outside its capital, but i cant bring this army down! (same i i triy it on the army in the capital) most attacks have zero-effect and the last ones brings it down to 1, so that its back to 7 in the next turn... it only works as expected in the last turn that ends with the "end of demo"-screen... im deeply concerned that this could be a cheeting ai, as it did not happen once but all the times i tried... shame on battelfront if they did to make it imüpossible to gain to much terrain in the demo to tease us for the full version!

I don't know what you're playing, but it sure ain't the beta demo. I've invaded Sweden countless times, with two armies and one tank unit. I bombard with a cruiser, then land the one army just north of Stockholm and attack with it. I land the Panzer 2 squares down, move up one, and attack with it. About 75% of the time, this completely eliminates the Stockholm unit; the other 25% of the time, it reduces it to 1 or 2. Depending on the situation, I land my other army the square below Stockholm and either attack or move into the city. An attack invariably eliminates any remainder of the defending unit.

Has worked every time. I used to use a corps instead of the 2nd army, but found that the 25% of the time my other two armies failed to eliminate the defender, the corps wasn't strong enough to do that.

My guess is that you're landing on one turn, then attacking in the next. Bad move. Your troops will be in supply the turn they land, so you have to attack then. Plus, the defending unit will not be entrenched the first turn, either. Why you bother attacking the other army is beyond me. It's like attacking the Dutch army in the Low Countries; there's no point to it.

Of course, this is with the Beta. Hubert says he's going to entrench the Swedish unit in the final game, so it probably will require a more significant effort to take Sweden.