PBEM Opponent Got All 4 French Ships on Surrender

Jollyguy

Anybody else have this happen after France surrenders? My opponent believes there's a 20% chance of keeping each additional French ship beyond one. If so, this guy got lucky, beating compounded odds of way less than 1 in 100 of keeping all four.

Also, I know if French land units are on or adjacent to a British hex, they survive surrender. But is being transported enough? It seems I had a French unit in open sea when France surrendered, and he survived.

Originally posted by Jollyguy:

Anybody else have this happen after France surrenders? My opponent believes there's a 20% chance of keeping each additional French ship beyond one. If so, this guy got lucky, beating compounded odds of way less than 1 in 100 of keeping all four.

Also, I know if French land units are on or adjacent to a British hex, they survive surrender. But is being transported enough? It seems I had a French unit in open sea when France surrendered, and he survived.

It is obvious that the Free French rules have to

be tightened up significantly: right now you can

haul the entire French army to England and they

will all survive the surrender. When Germany

goes east then just invade France with them (and

some British and American troops natch).

I dunno about the 4 ship thing tho-seems like luck

nipped you in the keyster. tongue.gif

JD

I believe the Free French rules are fine. The Allied player has the option of trying to defend France, or extricating as many French units as possible. If too many units retreat/are operated toward ports, Paris can fall, and poof, there goes the French units.

I believe the Free French rules are fine. The Allied player has the option of trying to defend France, or extricating as many French units as possible. If too many units retreat/are operated toward ports, Paris can fall, and poof, there goes the French units.

I favor extricating as many French as possible, but there are times a defense of France is possible. The Allied player needs that option.

Personaly I think the FF rules are unadulterated rubbish when they deal with land and air units, but are OK for the naval ones..almost.

I'd prefer to see naval FF units come over at strength 1 and require building to be useful.

But as for whole French corps or armies or air forces??? Oh please - gimme a break!!

Re: French Ships on surrender

I had that happen where my allied forces retained 3 of the French naval units on surrender. I had them "quarantined" in Scapa Flow, Liverpool and NY harbor under guard of the Royal navy. I re-commissioned (in my mind) them as HMS units. Historically, (crap there's that word again) I think the Richeulu sp? was detained in NY for the duration of the war.

As far as french units fleeing to England, with DeGaulle, many did, during the Dunkirk debacle. As far as air units...I think that most of them were destroyed on the ground during the opening days of the war. Bringing them over to England is fine with me...they aren't really effective w/out a French HQ. Whats fun is to have the Free French slug it out with the Vichy later on. I wish there was a way to land/use Algeria as a US base w/out having to declare war on Vichy. Declaring war on Vichy frees up their BBs and lets the Germans (and the Italians) operate from S. France during D-day :D

• 4 weeks later...