Subs too weak?

aleader

I just got the game a few weeks ago, and I'm having a real struggle as the germans in the first campaign. I find that subs in the N. Atlantic are almost useless as 1 turn after you put them there, the brits and french show up and wipe them all out within a turn or two. Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the Allies virtually helpless against german subs in 1939??

It also seems impossible to expand your army as the Russians always join the war very early after you defeat France :confused: , and you end up spending the rest of the campaign defending relentless Russian attacks. And I do have the latest patch installed.

[ October 13, 2002, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: aleader ]

Originally posted by aleader:

[QB]I just got the game a few weeks ago, and I'm having a real struggle as the germans in the first campaign. I find that subs in the N. Atlantic are almost useless as 1 turn after you put them there, the brits and french show up and wipe them all out within a turn or two. Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the Allies virtually helpless against german subs in 1939??

Try using them to divert your opponents attention, force him to take as much time as possible to destroy them. It is inevitable that they are destroyed, I have only managed to keep them against the AI.

Originally posted by aleader:

It also seems impossible to expand your army as the Russians always join the war very early after you defeat France :confused: , and you end up spending the rest of the campaign defending relentless Russian attacks. And I do have the latest patch installed.

My guess is that you don't have any units on the Eastern Front. Keep a couple of corps there until after you capture France, then boost it to about three or four, and you shouldn't have any problem keeping Russia out of the war until you're ready for them.

Those of you who play the axis, and don't just build air fleets and corps... Will find that subs are devestating, if you are going after England first.

If you get 3 subs near canada (after France falls), England is losing 40 per turn. With 4-5 subs, you can kill almost anything Britain sends out there (if she must watch her coast for an invasion).

The kicker though, is once London falls and you are fighting to get to Manchester, the subs buy you a LONG time to finish your task, as the US can only reinforce air safely.