A kinder/gentler Germany scenario

Panzer39

The Hitler's health thread has me thinking again on how WWII would have played out if Germany did not embark on the path to Genocide. What if instead they took the morale "high" road and only sought revenge for their defeat in WWI. Would their ORB have been different? Say they also went into the USSR as liberators on a quest to overthrow the tyrant Stalin? How could this be made into a scenario when the Axis already has a marked advantage? I have some of my own ideas but would also like some input. The setup, Hitler strokes out in the early 1930's and someone less radical takes up where he left off but instead of making other Germans the enemy, all hate is focased on Britian and France.

[ September 19, 2003, 12:07 AM: Message edited by: Panzer39 ]

Panzer

". . . all hate is focased on Britian and France."

To begin with, no partisans in either Yugo or the USSR.

If the policy were blatantly anti UK and France I think Turkey would have thrown in with them.

Assuming you start adding other countries to the list, you'll need to use the historical setting for minors instead of random.

German production should be higher without the insane Jewish Laws, how do you represent that? For one thing you could always use a reverse lend lease, shading Leningrad and it's port Gray. There are also other ways, but that's the only one that wouldn't involve much trouble. Germany would start out having an extra 6 MPPs per turn, presumably thes increases to 10, but I'm not sure of that.

I was thinking no scorched earth as well. The big question is how to balance it for the Allies.

I am thinking about giving some lend lease from America by making the mines British.

Maybe make Norway allied or haven been taken over by the UK :D ?

Start the Germans off with Poland captured to deny them the plunder?

Problem is that I would like to keep it historical besides the making Germany more humane

[ September 19, 2003, 12:39 AM: Message edited by: Panzer39 ]

The problem here is Germans after the First World War regarded Poland, all of it, as being part of Germany. It was ceded to them by the Soviet Government in 1918 and Germans had actually begun moving there.

Probably a kinder Germany, still expansionalist minded (otherwise there's no war) would still want to conquer Poland, so I'd leave the opening situation as is and build around it.

-- no scorched earth, that's a good idea.

[ September 19, 2003, 01:10 AM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

Scorched Earth was a tactic put in place by Stalin. I don't care how nice you are to the citezens the army spent more time destroying and looting the Russian towns than fighting the germans for the first six months of the war.

You could turn off Soviet parisans if you did this because you are better to the Ukranian's than Stalin was.

Yougoslavia is another mater. That place is a nightmare of old blood and vendetas. You are an invading force... Some one will rise up against you. Royalists, comunists, cosacks, serbs, croats, muslims, or christians you are going to piss sombody off. The best you can hope for is to support a faction against another.

Panzer Joe,

Agreed on both points; I meant they should be turned off for game purposes, but historically I have to agree with you.

On the scorched earth, it's possible that if Stalin's control over the country and his troops was losing effectiveness the scorched earth policy would not have been implememted. It would almost have to be assumed that he was deposed and replaced by a more nationalist regime. Even so, scorched earth is a traditional Russian weapon against invaders and the only way it could be sidestepped is if the Rusian people themselves took up arms and actively fought to stop it.

The only rationalization with Yugoslavia would be that a more sympathetic occupying administration successfully juggled all the internal feuds and hatreds. As you say, that would be a farfetched possibility. Many of the Yugoslavs were okay in dealing with the Germans but did not want Italian occupation. As you say, there were always those who would have fought any invader regardless of how well they treated the population; and German methods were not particularly enlightened.

The only way around it would be to start Yugoslavia off as an Axis Ally so there is no Axis invasion for partisans to fight. The Minor Allies would then need to be put on the Historical setting or they most likely wouldn't enter.

[ September 20, 2003, 05:18 AM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]