Re-Joining teams....ARGGH!!

I have two teams that just WILL NOT get back to form a squad again. Three turns I have been trying and still no go.

Team 3-a is in a foxhole, Im trying to move 3-b into the same hole. (Did it before with another team already) I have ordered 3b to the hole and everytime they get there they turn around and march back out as though there is no room. Ugh. I have tried moving them to the edge of the foxhole, and moving 3A to the opposite edge. Still, they turn around and leave.

I had no problems with another team in a virtually a identical situation join another team in a foxhole. I'm about to pull my hair out on this one...and the enemy is getting near!!! redface.gif

What the hell am I doing wrong???

[This message has been edited by Phoenix (edited 01-26-2001).]

Well first of all, they don't have to be standing on each other's heads to join back together. I believe with v1.1 they have to be within 10 meters. So basically what you are doing is that you are trying to run them together each turn and they aren't getting a chance to rejoin. Just have them within the 10 meter range at the end of a turn and they'll rejoin.

The one incident you mention where it worked, probably didn't work the way you thought it did.

What I've noticed happens occasionally, is when I try to move a split squad too close to another, it'll be too close to actually stay there, and move away farther than the 10 meters necessary for the squad to rejoin. Try moving the split squads near each other, but not close enough to provoke the getting out of each others way behavior.

-John

------------------

so you can stay cool behind your window

and choose the view you want to see

but as long as there's others held captive

do not consider yourself free

-EMBRACE, "DO NOT CONSIDER YOURSELF FREE"

Thanks John. It appears you are right on the money.

I had never experienced a problem with this before till I had the foxholes. It seems that trying to get the guys into the same foxhole as the other team is just "too close". Goofy logic I think since a whole squad can fit in there anyway. Oh well.

I did some experiments on my own and so long as I moved the B squad close enough but NOT in the foxhole, they did rejoin. I'll try this again when the next PBEM turn comes.

Thanks.

Hope this is helpful, I just was also rejoining some split squads in a foxhole, and also thought they wouldn't join. I was checking around the battlefield and then came back to them and they were joined. This was after watching them be in the same foxhole for 20-30 seconds, maybe longer, and still be two teams. So I guess I'm trying to say, you can put both splits in the same foxhole, and they will join, but it can take some time to register. Or maybe you knew that and were just talking about the moving away thing. Anyway - FWIW.

I've always had problems getting them to join near a foxhole if one split squad is already in it. Illogical, as pointed out above. I have to move both out of the foxhole and next to one antoher. Then move the rejoined squad into the hole next turn.

------------------

New to Combat Mission?

Visit CM Boot Camp at Combat Missions for tips.

And for something somewhat different....

I had the two teams of a split squad embark onto the same tank. Several turns later, they were still on the tank and still had not rejoined.

Either it's an oversight or it was a little too difficult to implement for seemingly little gain....