Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

3 person round robin made easy

I posted a while ago asking how to do a 3 person round-robin (where DID that term come from?) where on the same map, 3 people play both axis and allies against each other.

109 Gustav was kind enough to offer to act as a 4th person and create a map and make 3 scens and populate them with our units picks, but there's a way three people can do it.

Lets call our players Larry, Curly and Moe.

Create a map, set all parameters except units, save it as a scen and send it to everyone for perusal and unit selection. When people whine about the map, call them knuckleheads and tell them they can set the whole thing up next time.

Player Larry sends his Axis selection to Moe and Ally to Curly.

Player Moe sends his Axis selection to Curly and Ally to Larry.

Player Curly sends his Axis selection to Larry and Ally to Moe.

Player Larry populates the map with Curly Axis and Moe Ally, save it as tournament save, Axis 1st and sends the scen to Curly.

Player Moe populates the map with Larry Axis and Curly Ally, save it as tournament save, Axis 1st and sends the scen to Larry.

Player Curly populates the map with Moe Axis and Larry Ally, save it as tournament save, Axis 1st and sends the scen to Moe.

So if everybody does their job right, nobody knows the units against them, and each has an Axis setup and an Ally setup on the same map.

Whoop whoop whoop.

Fate

Hehe, the following is from a person in my 3 person round robin, Stooge Kun Do, heehee.

"Player Moe sends his Axis selection to Curly and Ally to Larry...

N'yuk n'yuk n'yuk.

So far so good; I've got setup moves off to both of you. So which one of us is Moe? I've always most readily identified with Larry, and I figure I got the finger-poking countermove down clean now.

In fact, I once practised a martial art form called Stooge Kun Do.

It's highly effective when you're attacked by overweight Jewish comedians. Or so I'm told."

How about doing something even more crazy?

A three players hotseat session!

- Player1 (P1) set up the battle parametres (including full FOW, but no password) and purchase units for side A.

- Player2 (P2) purchase units for side B, and set them up on the map.

- Player3 (P3) set up side A, and give orders.

- P1 give orders to side B. When he hit GO he call for P3, and they watch the movie together.

- P2 watch the movie and plot orders for side A.

- P3 plot orders for side B, hit GO and call for P2 to watch the movie...

This way all players have some control of both sides, and FOW is somewhat offset.

Not allowed for the players:

* Coordinating the tactics and objectives between players.

* Have units (area-)target own troops.

To do this with PBEM will take a bit more thought on how to distribute files between the players...

Cheers

Olle

An interesting concept!

I play the incredible Japanese (well, Oriental) game of Go. We sometimes do a version known as Zen Go, where there's three people and you switch sides every move. Altho your best laid plans can get wasted, it teaches you to be very objective, and is also useful for weaker players to see where the better player would place.

If you've not heard of Go, it is a game of great visual, tactile and audial beauty. There are only three rules (rule 1. the board starts empty) and beginners can play almost imediately, even against stronger players because of a builtin handicap system. It takes seconds to learn but a lifetime or more to master.

If chess is a battle, Go is a war. Possibly the oldest game still played in it's original form.

To learn more:

http://www.well.com/user/mmcadams/gointro.html

To hone your interest a bit more, it may be the only game that computers have yet to master. At one point, there was a prize of a HUGE cash amount (not sure if it's still around) for a computer program that could beat a top ranking professional in a 3 game series.

http://www.usgo.org/computer/index.html

Another superb link for those interested:

http://www.cwi.nl/~jansteen/go/index.html

Fate, last I heard that prize was still around. I saw a listing a while ago of all the netrantsd from the last ten years. They ranked them by having the play high ranking children. In all cases the computers needed handicaps. The prizes looked absolutely enourmous, at least until i converted them into dollars. They were still pretty hefty though.

curih