HQ Panic . . .

Gpig

I'm playing this PBEM game, and I have a platoon of American Airborne (mostly Vet's) lined up at a treelined road. They are all hiding in Woods and the HQ unit is also on the frontlines, about 5m from the road (also in Woods).

I set him up front so he could pick an ambush spot that all of his squads could also see and target.

The Jerries arrive, with about two platoons, and a flak wagon/truck. The ambush is sprung and by the end of the turn, my HQ unit is under fire by the flak wagon and a couple of squads of german infantry. His state is "Alerted!" No casualties.

In the next orders turn, I tell him to "WITHDRAWL!" about 10m deeper into the woods. Then I hit go.

Next turn, I'm surprised to see him move from ALERTED to PANIC within one second. Then he hits the deck. And proceeds to get shelled by the 20mm gun, plus 3 squads of enemy infantry for a full 30 seconds before switching to BROKEN state and running for the hills. (But luckily, with no casualties!) smile.gif

Anyways, my question is this. Should I just have used RUN or CRAWL to get him out of trouble? It seems the MORALE HIT he took when ordered to withdrawl was pretty intense. Maybe this particular HQ has a confidence problem, but Sheesh. From Alterted to PANIC in one second?

If I had told him to RUN or CRAWL there would have been an 8 second delay. I was afraid of the same thing happening during those 8 seconds (Cautious, shaken, PANIC etc.), thus my order to WITHDRAWL.

First time I've seen this quick switch. Anyone else?

Gpig

withdrawl is a risk command. if your unit is under heavy fire, there is a really good chance that they will break. this chance can be greatly decreased by a good leader. but when it is a leader, they are on their own.

so either you wait your 8 seconds (or whatever) and risk taking more casulties and breaking anyways; or you withdrawl and chance them breaking. i usually give a run command so atleast they shoot back before they go, and then get out of there as fast as possible.