Tank Accuracy After Losing the Tank Commander?

I'm in the midst of a great PBEM in which an enemy sharpshooter picked off the TC on my unbuttoned veteran Pershing just as it was moving into hull down position relative to my target.

The crew was shocked for half a turn, and then recovered starting with the next turn. I've had one other chance to target an enemy AFV - a rear flank no less - and I missed by about three miles. There was some smoke on the battlefield at the time, so I'm unsure how much that affected my accuracy.

Does losing a tank commander as a casualty affect crew accuracy for the rest of the game? If so, I may be in trouble, as I'm pinning my hopes for victory on this Pershing.

My guess is the ROF may be slower, but I suspect the chance to hit accuracy of each round is not affected. (I could be wrong)

What is the range to your target?

IS it hull down?

is it moving?

3 misses seems like alot, I would figure you are due for a hit SOON.

it the target really far away?

What is it you are trying to hit?

Good luck

-tom w

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

3 misses seems like alot, I would figure you are due for a hit SOON.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom, note that he said he missed by 3 miles, not 3 times smile.gif

I'm not aware of any accuracy reduction when the TC is killed, but there may be one. One shot is not much to base anything on.

------------------

You've never heard music until you've heard the bleating of a gut-shot cesspooler. -Mark IV

True, one shot isn't anything to draw to conclusions on. Just expressing a general concern and asking a speculative question – it’s never occurred to me before.

It's just that I’ve been trying to kill this damn Hetzer for about ten turns and, with only 8 mm armor on the rear hull, I was counting on my tank crew coming through at the right moment. C’mon boys, you’re breaking my heart!

Anyhow, the range was less than 500 m, the Hetzer was not hull down (what little hull there is), moving directly away from my stationary Pershing until the Hetzer hung a left and hid.

Originally posted by JessRobinson:

Does losing a tank commander as a casualty affect crew accuracy for the rest of the game?

It definately should, if it doesn't already.

The TC acts like a spotter for the gunner, since he has a better view of the target. If the gunner has to spot where the rounds hit by himself corrections will be less accurate (and sometimes non-existant, if the sight is thrown off target by the recoil or the LOS is blocked by gunsmoke and dust).

Cheers

Olle

------------------

Strategy is the art of avoiding a fair fight...

Originally posted by Vanir:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

3 misses seems like alot, I would figure you are due for a hit SOON.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom, note that he said he missed by 3 miles, not 3 times smile.gif

I'm not aware of any accuracy reduction when the TC is killed, but there may be one. One shot is not much to base anything on.

Thanks Vanir

I'm sorry, I was sleepy, and it was late when I wrote that so I admit I was not paying attention when I read it.

Thanks for the correction.

-tom w