Red Heroes Scenario available

Hi All!

I've converted yet another scenario from the SkirmishCampaign book Russia '41-Into the Ukraine. This is my third scenario design and I've really started to finesse my scenario creation skills.

Red Heroes is a continuation of Opening Volley in which the German 11th Panzer Division continues its press on to Dubno. It takes place on 23 June 1941. In this scenario the Ukranians are getting a bit better at intercepting the Germans and are racing to set up an ambush. It features an Ad Hoc defense vs. an Attacker who wants to be elsewhere. I spent nearly a month tweeking this one after successive plays vs. the computer and against human opponents. Its my best scenario so far.

It has lots of tactical phases. The first is the initial line of battle formation the Germans come onto the battle with. Eventually that breaks up into bound and overwatch as German's overcome a stream obstacle. The meat of the fight comes 2/3rds of the way through as the German has to make some tough tactical choices. He wants to hold the town with his forces. He also wants to exit his AFV's off the board because they are needed further down the road. The question is, how long do they stay?

The Ukranian player has a completely different set of problems. Mainly there is the quality issue. His troops and vehicles are up to a frontal assault on the Germans. They are brave but when it comes to being able to take out the enemy they just can't survive a long range slug match. The Ukranian player has to be clever and that means timing his attacks and setting up so that the range is quite close. The Ukranian cares less about losing his own troops than the German does. Just taking out a percentage of the German armor goes a long way in securing a victory in this scenario.

You can find Opening Volley and Red Heroes at The Scenario Depot: http://www.dragonlair.net/combatmission/

Enjoy!