251/10

Guest J Pender

Guest J Pender

Hello all,

Does anyone know how many 251/10 37mm armed halftracks were stationed on the Western front during the period covered by CMBO, what was the total number produced, were they still being produced in 1944?

Take care

John Pender

Originally posted by J Pender:

Hello M Hofbauer,

Thanks for taking the time to find that info.

Take care

John

PS were did you find your answer?

Just talking out of my ass here, but wouldn't the 37mm guns be used mainly for training by this point? I know you are talking about half track mounts, but if they dumped the 5 cm mortar and the trail mounted 37s, I would presume that the HT mounted 37 would also be dumped. It would be useless against armour, and for use against softskins or infantry the 20mm would be just as effective but with a better rate of fire.

So my butt says, anyway!

Are you cooking up a historical scenario that calls for their use?

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Just talking out of my ass here, but wouldn't the 37mm guns be used mainly for training by this point? I know you are talking about half track mounts, but if they dumped the 5 cm mortar and the trail mounted 37s, I would presume that the HT mounted 37 would also be dumped. It would be useless against armour, and for use against softskins or infantry the 20mm would be just as effective but with a better rate of fire.

So my butt says, anyway!

Germans were chronically short of tanks, and used anything that would shoot even if it was not much good.

Guest J Pender
Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Hello Michael,

If they were in the game I would try.

I recently saw a picture of a 251/10 dated 1944 and it got me thinking. It didnt say were the pic was taken but my guess was on the eastern front.

I just like the joy of managing tank kills with lowly halftracks/armored cars. The best time was when I managed to bag a Priest and a Sherman with a 251/9.

Before CMBO I rarely played any (SL/ASL SP) battles that took place after 1943.

I've seen multiple East front pictures of Sd.Kfz 251/10. In many pictures it is seen in supporting infantry advance to villages. Most pictures were from 1941-1943 no doubt. But there was one where 251/10 was standing with some Panthers and text underneath said something about 251/10s attached to protect new Panthers from enemy infantry. So that pic may be from operation Zitadelle, right?

I dunno if it was used in west 1944...no idea at all frown.gif

Chamberlain and Doyle's Encyclopedia of German Tanks of World War Two says of the 250/10: "From 1940, the Sd Kfz 251/10 was issued as the Zugführerwagen [platoon leader vehicle] to platoon leaders, so as to provide some heavy support. Minor variations existed in the arrangement of the 3.7cm PaK shield." (p.175)

------------------

New to Combat Mission?

Visit CM Boot Camp at Combat Missions for tips.

Guest J Pender

More info:

First SdKfz 251 version to mount a support weapon, 37mm PAK L/50, velocity 875 m/sec, 168 carried rounds, six man crew.

Take care

John

Guest Germanboy

Originally posted by Slapdragon:

Germans were chronically short of tanks, and used anything that would shoot even if it was not much good.

A lot of the early 75mm short Stug IIIs were around in training units, without being used at the front until maybe again in 1945 towards the end, when the training grounds became the front-line. Something had to be kept back to train new personnel, and with the Stugs it was the old stuff, shortages at the front don't impact on that. A lot of the shortage in 1944 was created not by an absence of weapons, but by an inability to transport them. Production figures were comparatively high in 1944.

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.