WWII TV Show--Could It Be Done?

Guest aka PanzerLeader

Ja...My dream would be a weekly show covering the adventures of Guy Sajer on the Russian Front, based on the book "Forgotten Soldier". But I think Eastern Front won't work in US 'cos the vast majority of the public wants to see heroic GIs blasting their way through helpless and stupid Waffen SS troops...*Evil* Waffen SS troops...How sad that the US population, if we except the grog minority, has so little interest in anything that doesn't concern them. Maybe it would do better in Europe.

And I think I'd be disappointed anyway with that kind of show because of lack of realism and objectiveness. I didn't like SPR for those reasons, and it probably won't get much better than SPR...

So I'll be happy if it stays a dream...

Originally posted by aka PanzerLeader:

Ja...My dream would be a weekly show covering the adventures of Guy Sajer on the Russian Front, based on the book "Forgotten Soldier". But I think Eastern Front won't work in US 'cos the vast majority of the public wants to see heroic GIs blasting their way through helpless and stupid Waffen SS troops...*Evil* Waffen SS troops...How sad that the US population, if we except the grog minority, has so little interest in anything that doesn't concern them. Maybe it would do better in Europe.

And I think I'd be disappointed anyway with that kind of show because of lack of realism and objectiveness. I didn't like SPR for those reasons, and it probably won't get much better than SPR...

So I'll be happy if it stays a dream...

Lol.

The Germans in SPR just HAD to be SS didn't they? In Hollywood I suppose most Germans are good Nazis.

As regards Eastern Front doing better in Europe, well most of the SS Dirlewanger brigade seems to be ageing disgracefully in Manchester...

It would be difficult to base a TV series on a subject that (A) most people don't appreciate ir have any knowledge of and (B) "Western" audiences will not have any sympathy for 'Nazis' or 'hordes of Soviets'. Perhaps these ideas will happen when the West grows up a bit and is less blinkeredly nationalistic.

Anyone remember the old TV series "Police Story"? It had different charactors each week and told an hour long story set in a police setting. Sometimes they might bring charactors back for another show or two but usually it was different from week to week. The same thing could be done in a war setting. Call it "War Story", or something like that. You could even expand it to other eras or wars, though I'd rather see it set in WWII all the time. Anyway, probably won't happen and if it did Hollywood would probably mess it up anyway. Thats why I don't watch much TV anymore. (Well that and CMBO!)

------------------

Randy aka Prairiedog

The thing I remember most about Tour of Duty was that they killed off the whole cast at the end of the last episode. You don't see that too often.

------------------

You've never heard music until you've heard the bleating of a gut-shot cesspooler. -Mark IV