Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Sound Blaster 1024 Live - set up

I put this query here as it is not too 'techy' and the tech forum doesn't seem to get quite as much attention as this.

When I bought my PC, SB1024L was pre-installed and I got no docs etc with it. There is a help file which isn't that brilliant.

I've not really touched the settings on it from day one and the sound seems fine to me. Is there a set-up process that I should go through with it though, to make sure I'm getting the best sound out of the game? I have 4 sat speakers and and s/woofer. The 'Creative' launcher has a lot of tabs on it for things like 'environments' and I get a few games showing up in there, only one of which I've got (Age of Empires II). Should I be tweaking this at all. I did a search on the forum and found comments regarding the 'Forest' setting under environments. When I use that Env tab I get nothing like Forests or Mountains, all I get is 'I want to' options (eg play a game etc.) and followed by a number of game options. Where is 'Forests'?

Any help much appreciated.

[This message has been edited by Apache (edited 03-20-2001).]

It can be done either from Live!Task or the AudioHQ tab.

From Live!Task, under I want to select Select Effects and then in the next pull down menu are a whole sleu of Environmental Effects including "Forest".

From the AudioHQ tab, select Environmental Audio, this should open up a Window that has the same environmental effects listed from the above method, plus several fine tuning sliders.

Also, you should have an AutoEA application that starts at boot-up that runs in the systray. It will automatically change Environmental settings for all your games. With that application you set an effect and associate that with an .exe file. So therefore, every time I run Cmbo.exe it sets the Environmental Audio to "Forest". And for games like Quake or something, a good EA setting would be Stone Corridor or Stone Room or something similar.

Hope this helps.

------------------

For your dream car click here.

For a Close Encounter click here.

Hey look! I can see my house!

And for all you Hamster Lovers out there, check this out! Kitty, this one's for you!

Excellent - thanks very much. Have they changed the Launcher perhaps. I can't find Live task anywhere. Got the others though.

When I open it up I get four tabs: Master, source, midi and options. Under those I get reverb, chorus and original sound. Which should I set to Forest and under which tabs?

[This message has been edited by Apache (edited 03-21-2001).]

[sigh]

Look right above those tabs, it should have a pop down menu labeled Environment. There is where you will find all of the Environmental Presets including Forest.

Those tabs just set the source and other things associate with the environmental settings. Those sliders are for manual adjustment of a certain effect. In fact, depending on what the enviromental setting it is set on, it will only show certain aspects there.

------------------

And for all you Hamster Lovers out there, check this out! Kitty, this one's for you!

Thx Maxiimus. I've opened EA and the first tab on the left is marked 'Master'. I've set it to forest (which is now listed to the right of the 'reverb' icon). I presume I need do no more. There is a slider at the bottom and at the moment the reverb icon is set at 10% (default?), do I need this any higher?

Also, having made the links on the start bar, I presume I don't have to worry about the 'Environments' tab on the creative launcher bar being set to 'I want to play a game with etc.'

Originally posted by Apache:

Thx Maxiimus. I've opened EA and the first tab on the left is marked 'Master'. I've set it to forest (which is now listed to the right of the 'reverb' icon). I presume I need do no more. There is a slider at the bottom and at the moment the reverb icon is set at 10% (default?), do I need this any higher?

Also, having made the links on the start bar, I presume I don't have to worry about the 'Environments' tab on the creative launcher bar being set to 'I want to play a game with etc.'

I set mine to 11%, but hey knock yourself out. Their is a test button there on the bottom. Play around with the different effects and test the way it sounds. judge for yourself what you like.

And finally........there is a slider under 'device controller' on the creative launcher which sets the maximum number of simultaneous wave playbacks you can have. Is there an optimum level to this? It was set to 5 (default?), I have moved it to 10, anyone use any more?

This thread got me to tinkering with the Environmental settings last night. Quite frankly, I didn't see where fooling around with the various effects made CM sound any better than it does straight out of the box, obviously, simply a matter of personal preference though. I have to say though some of the effects were pretty neat sounding (i.e., "psychotic" and "drugged"), although I wouldn't want to run CM through them ....LOL!!!

Good luck to all!!!

Originally posted by Apache:

I'm still not sure you follow me. Yes there is what you describe above, but are you completely sure that there aren't any settings ABOVE the "Master", "Source", "MIDI", "Options"?

It should say "Environment" accompianied with a white text box with a pull-down menu that lists all of the Environmental settings. And then to the right of that are four buttons labeled "Save Environment", "Delete Environment", "Import Environment", and "Export Environment".

------------------

Yep, that's where I've clicked on Forest. It then places 'Forest' next to the speaker (reverb) icon below that and when I test it there are differing results dependant on what it is set to, I have mine at 20% now.

However, if you select Environments from the launcher and then select 'device control' there is another slider for 'continuous wave playpack'. The impression I get is the more you puch this up the more sounds it can handle.

I've posted about the NCrawler sound mod, I may go back to MDMP sounds, vehicles (esp tanks) seem to drown most other stuff out.