Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

No Man's Land

Because the NML in operations can be quite confusing and nobody seems to know how they work, I decided to do a bit of testing with the setting. At first I should draw your attention to that these things work differently in certain operation types. In Advance type operations (or any type in CMBO) units are always withdrawn behind their own lines after each battle. Static operations, which I tested here, work differently. Assault operations probably are similar to static operations in this regard.

In the test setting I had deployed a Russian and German company so that they're practically behind each other (see the last pic to see the setup of forces on both sides). Then on turn 1 I hit ceasefire for both and looked at what the front looked like in battle 2. Here's the results for different NML sizes, from Russian perspective:

0m.jpg

80m.jpg

160m.jpg

400m.jpg

(The last picture is edited so that the German troops are also included.)

As you can see, the basic situation doesn't change at all. A centre line is drawn based on the positions of forces. Then NML is drawn to both directions, the combined width of which equals the size of NML setting. E.g. if NML = 80m, then German front is drawn 40m to west and Russian front 40m to east of the centre line.

All areas on friendly side of own frontline are free for deployment, unless possessed by a separated pocket of enemy troops. Also, having troops on the friendly half of the NML makes those areas free for deployment.

But forces left to the other side of the centre line are not given a free deployment zone. They can either stay there or be pulled back, and they receive less supplies (or possibly just troops beyond the NML suffer from this). The AI always pulls them back.

I hope this helps.

I haven't tested what the centerline is based on. But I could make couple of assumptions (to be proven true or false):

1) if the opposing forces are not overlapping (unlike in the example above), then the centreline would be between the furthermost troops of both sides

2) if some of the opposing forces are overlapping, then the centreline would be located somewhere in the overlapped area, either in the middle or then some sort of centre of mass calculation takes place