The M4A2 and M4A3

M4A2.jpg

M4A3.jpg

I am looking for more info on these tanks.

I am makeing a AFV data bace...mainly tanks in CM though.

Rob

Here is a quote from the book I got the picts form

From AFVS by Philip Trewhitt on the M4A2

The M4 sheman used the same basic hull as he M3, but mounted the main armamernt on the gun turret rather then the hull. Easy to build and an excellent fighting platform, it proved to be a war-winner for the Allies. By the time production ceased in 1945 40,000 had been built. There were many wariants including engineer tanks, assault tanks, rocket lonchers,recovery vehicals and mine-clears, Tge British employed the Sherman extensively at El Alamein in 1942. Though outgunned by German tanks and with insufficaent armor ot compete in the later starges of the war the sheer numbers of prodution overwhelmed the enemy armourd forces.

Heres a qoute on the M4A3 from the same book

The M4A3 was one of the most developed of all the Sherman variants used during WWII. Its differed from the M4A2 mainly in the design of the turret and armament, employing the larger and more powerful 76mm gun as well as having thicker armour. This particular model was the production trype most favourd by the US army. Ford buil 1690 A3s between June 1942 and September 1943. Before ceasing tank production. Manufacture was then taken over by Grand Blanc for Febuary 1944. Impoved features included a vision cupola for the commander, a loader's hach and the so-called 'wet stowage' for the ammunition. In addition is petrol engine was specifically developed for the vehical.

------------------

CMC Game Master

CMC/WWII board

[This message has been edited by Sherman (edited 02-08-2001).]

Originally posted by gunnergoz:

If Shermans float your boat, you MUST have Hunnicutt's book oddly enough entitled "Sherman." It may not be in print right now and at $65 it's a pill, but it will fix what ails you pretty fast. Oh, yeah, it weighs in at about 5 lbs.

Yes. George Forty also has a good book too.

If you can tell me the specific info you are looking for, I can look stuff up - I would go to htp://www.mapleleafup.org first, though, there are some good links. Hanno Spoelstra's Sherman Tank register has info on Commonwealth Shermans, for example.