Desert Rats...

Simple question really...I want to load CM a second time onto my system so I can convert it to the Desert scenarios...how? Same way I loaded it the first time? :rolleyes: Try not to call me names when you give me the answer...I stayed up way too late last night and partook of a little too much...well never mind that. :D :cool: Later.

Guest Babra

Hey, it's the copier repair guy! I feel like you're one of the family... ;)

Okay, I haven't actually tried this, but can't you just load it into a non-default folder called CM2 or CMB or something?

OR, if the folder has to be called "CMBO", can you not create a CMBO folder in a location different than the present one?

Can't hurt to try...

Hi,

This way is alot harder than the previous message suggested. Im going to leave this up just in case.

1. Pop the CMBO CD in.

2. Open up My Computer and click the down arrow, select Combat Msn (D smile.gif.

3. Now click on the Start Menu then go to Programs and open up Windows Explorer.

4. Look around in Windows Explorer and find a place to put your CM: DFDR version in (Create a new folder if you have to).

5. Bring up the other window and select all of the files on the cd and drag them into the folder you created.

6. After all is done install the DFDR conversion pack and your done!

I hope you understood all that, good luck.

-MoJo

[ 05-24-2001: Message edited by: MoJo ]

I just found out you must also download the 1.12 patch for CMBO and run it, or else your DFDR will not recognize any of the scenarios (thought it does recognize the ASL maps).

EDIT AGAIN - I found the best solution here is to reinstall CMBO into another folder, ie CM DFDR, then to copy the Combat Mission.exe file (MAKING SURE THAT PATCH 1.12 HAS BEEN APPLIED TO IT PREVIOUSLY) to the DFDR file and rename it DFDR.exe, then create a shortcut to DFDR, and drag it to the desktop. The game works perfectly now.

Incidentally, I still have no idea what I need to download from the downloads page - Clubfoot/Mike T - is there any way to make that page a bit more user friendly (ie make it clear which files are duplicates of other files)?

[ 05-24-2001: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

What I did was to Create a new folder called Cmdfdr. Copied over the Bmp folder from the CD because I didn't need all the _opt files that I have in the Cmbo bmp folder. Copied over the Open Play, Wav and CM.exe Created a Scenario folder in the Cmdfdr.

Started installing DFDR files. Then installed special effect files like explosions and whatnot.

It's amazingly simple to create a second "copy" of CM : just copy your current CM directory new (say "DFDR CM") directory...

To use it click on the "copied" CM exe file.

You'll have at first "perfect" copies, but when you install DFDR (or others) mods on one or the other they'll diverge, each with their own set of BMPs/Wavs.

The only "problem" is that CMModMan doesn't handle multiple CM occurences, so you'll havbe to manage your mods "manually" or with batch files (which I do, anyway I don't use CMModMan ;) )

For my part I did that and have a "standard" CM install and a DFDR CM. DFDR mods go only to standard CM, and whenever I install another new mod I decide if I want it or not in DFDR, if yes I copy the files twice.

With this life is sweet :cool:

Here's how I did it:

1. Rename the CMBO folder temporarily. Any name will do.

2. Run Setup.exe from the CM CD. (Open the CD contents by clicking on the CD drive in My Computer.)

3. When Setup loads, select "Repair" in the options menu. (This will create a new CMBO folder on your hard drive and make a fresh installation.)

4. Apply the 1.12 patch.

5. Rename the new CMBO folder to CM DFDR and rename the old folder back to CMBO. You now have two separately functional installations.

Also, the CM Mod Manager will work with both installations. Just change the paths in the Configuration menu to point to the correct location for the version you want to play. The DFDR mod works great with the Mod Manager, and you can easily switch back and forth between the DFDR version and the CMBO version just by changing the paths.