DESERT UNIFORMS...Get your DESERT UNIFORMS here!

OK guys, so the whole EWJOTMA didn't go over so well. :( Too bad, 'cause it was pretty PENG-ish funny.

Anyway, some of you may have seen my earlier screenshot of a UK Army Uniform. I had sent it to the DFDR site, but they are just about as fast as Madmatt is with CMHQ. No offense, of course. ;):D

But in the meantime, there *are* a few DFDR scenarios with UK Airborne in them, so I figured that they need a special desert uniform as well. "'Cause green kacky camo isn't going to fool anyone in the desert." ;)

So again using Magua's awesome Tommie mod, I have created a Desert UK Airborne uniform from Magua's '45 Tommie. I don't know how historically correct it is, but it does look cool in-game as if not just to differentiate the two types of troops.

Anyway, here is the UK Airborne uniform, both front and back:

View?u=1304730&a=9683026&p=47703023&Sequence=0&res=high

And here's the UK Army uniform, both front and back:

View?u=1304730&a=9683026&p=47703022&Sequence=0&res=high

If you want them, you can email me for it is a rather small download as they are actually still in low-res dimensions.

davem@shawneelink.net

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Leather jerkins in the desert? Ye Gods, man!

And No. 7 Blanco?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well like I said, I don't know how historical it is, but it just looks cool. ;)

Com'on Michael, use your imagination. tongue.gif

[ 05-01-2001: Message edited by: Maximus ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maximus:

Well like I said, I don't know how historical it is, but it just looks cool. ;)

Com'on Michael, use your imagination. tongue.gif

[ 05-01-2001: Message edited by: Maximus ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If we had imagination, why would we want mods? we could just imagine the stock artwork looking cool...:-PPP

The colours are nice; you have done a good job and I am sure many will enjoy these mods. You would blow my socks off, though, if you picked up a copy of TOMMY IN COLOUR PHOTOS and researched the proper pattern KD.

In actual fact, the jerkin is probably not a bad compromise. Prescribed winter clothing for the Desert was the wool greatcoat which is not modelled in CM.

Why is that? I think that was short sighted on BTS' part - perhaps it is too much of a graphical challenge, but all the nations in CMBO wore greatcoats in the winter - US, Britain, Germany. Same with the Reds, so maybe in CM2?

If we had imagination, why would we want mods? we could just imagine the stock artwork looking cool...:-PPP

The colours are nice; you have done a good job and I am sure many will enjoy these mods. You would blow my socks off, though, if you picked up a copy of TOMMY IN COLOUR PHOTOS and researched the proper pattern KD.

In actual fact, the jerkin is probably not a bad compromise. Prescribed winter clothing for the Desert was the wool greatcoat which is not modelled in CM.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well correct indeed. However, you have to make compromises and make do with what you have. As for using Magua's leather jerkins for Desert UK Airborne, it was within artists liberties. ;) It was there, so I used it. ;)

Anyway....

Alright, Max pegged me. I'll cop to being lazy. I have been busy, just not on CM or DFDR stuff. Me sucks.

Those Brit infantry uniforms will be up before this weekend (the airborne too if you want to ship 'em to me).

Now, what I'd really like to see from ol' Max are some DAK vehicles. There are a slew of them right now, but most of them seem to be too orange-hued, and the ones that aren't are lo-res.

I really liked your winter armor (so much that it's used in the Commando Skorzeny Sheep's Clothing SSM) and would like to see your stylings on the desert DAK vehicles, all in matching ochre (the standard paint job after '42, although the Germans termed it "desert yellow"). Or standard gun-metal grey with the DAK palm&swastika symbol.

Huh? Huh? purty please?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Clubfoot:

Alright, Max pegged me. I'll cop to being lazy. I have been busy, just not on CM or DFDR stuff. Me sucks.

Those Brit infantry uniforms will be up before this weekend (the airborne too if you want to ship 'em to me).

Now, what I'd really like to see from ol' Max are some DAK vehicles. There are a slew of them right now, but most of them seem to be too orange-hued, and the ones that aren't are lo-res.

I really liked your winter armor (so much that it's used in the Commando Skorzeny Sheep's Clothing SSM) and would like to see your stylings on the desert DAK vehicles, all in matching ochre (the standard paint job after '42, although the Germans termed it "desert yellow"). Or standard gun-metal grey with the DAK palm&swastika symbol.

Huh? Huh? purty please?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm working on some. Someone sent me a new Allied truck last night. I made a desert version this morning.

I'll send you the new uniform zip shortly.

I really like the colors you used on the regular infantry. To me, they look pretty close to what the what a faded set of wool battle dress would look like.

Now, if someone would be able to get the US infantry done correctly, that would be a good thing. Having formerly been a re-enactor of US infantry, i would have to say that the American infantry in CM needs:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Russet brown boots, instead of CM's black boots<LI>Mustard-brown trousers, for the 1944 infantry, as the stock ones are too dark. <LI>The puke green shade of the 1945 infantry is awful. It is too light, although, after intense fading and weathering may have looked that way<LI>Double buckle boots! Anyone care to do a boot mod?

So that's my 2cents on the topic.

easy-v

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by easy-v:

I really like the colors you used on the regular infantry. To me, they look pretty close to what the what a faded set of wool battle dress would look like.

easy-v<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with you that brown boots would be nice to see for US troops.

Incidentally, British battledress and their Canadian and Aussie cousins didn't fade appreciably; even battleworn museum relics and surplus store window displays 50 years later still retain a very prominent brown colour.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by easy-v:

I really like the colors you used on the regular infantry. To me, they look pretty close to what the what a faded set of wool battle dress would look like.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually I didn't use any colors on these uniforms. Just cahnged the brightness and contrast levels of them to give these uniforms this look.

even battleworn museum relics and surplus store window displays 50 years later still retain a very prominent brown colour.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good point!

However, I *think* am referring to the British made battledress, as I am under the impression that there are at least 2 distinctive versions of battledress: those locally produced in Great Britain before and during the war, and those produced in Canada, Australia etc.

The latter, in most examples I have seen, tend to be of a darker brown shade then the ones I have seen that were produced in Great Britain. At least, that is my understanding. I posess a 1937 Pattern (i'll have to recheck it) Battle Dress Blouse dated 1942 that was produced in England. It is very much different, in terms of color, from examples I have seen which were not produced in Britain-for example, a Canadian produced battle dress blouse. Of course, the Brits were forced to wear colonially produced uniforms during the war, as they could not locally produce enough to cloth their own troops (again, that is my impression, and what I remember hearing/reading etc)

Of course, my forte is not Brit uniforms, it's US, and, this is nothing but Grog attention-to-detail stuff anyway, but God I love it!

easy-v