Attention Level 1 Players: Franko's Rules, Iron Man etc.

Dear eba,

By all means be realistic. But then be sure not to cheat either.

For instance what exactly does flying over the terrain ahead of your tank using the mouse simulate? Nothing I am aware of. As it is there are at least 3 methods of looking for a hull down position that are not cheating.

1} You can view from your tank just as its crew would do (by selecting it, tabbing and hitting # 1). You can use zoom magnification 2 or even 4 if you are targeting. These would simulate the use of binoculars and gunsights respectivley.

2) You can move your tank in shorter bounds. That would simulate the crew moving more carefully and looking for a hulldown position. Whereas ordering a tank to make a long move is, as I see it, telling it to get to the end position asap and forget about anything else. Since there is no way in CMBO to order the AI to "find hull down", you have to do it yourself and it may take a couple of moves.

3)You can use other units, infantry half squads for instance, to help you find a hull down position.

Using FTCR "What you see (from your position)is what you get".

Observant Toad.

To Franko:

How did you happen to arrive at FTCR mode of play? I just watched "The Thin Red Line" last night. The view from the ground, crawling in the tall grass and all, reminded me of our Level 1 play. I found it interesting that the G.I.'s in the film were "surprised" by terrain features they could not discern until they actually arrived at a spot where they could see them.

( I guess it was because they were in the early 40's and they didn't have a computer driven mouse they could use to fly over the terrain to scout it out while viewing the battlefield from 100m up in the air !!!)

Sarcastic Toad

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Louie the Toad:

To Franko:

How did you happen to arrive at FTCR mode of play? I just watched "The Thin Red Line" last night. The view from the ground, crawling in the tall grass and all, reminded me of our Level 1 play. I found it interesting that the G.I.'s in the film were "surprised" by terrain features they could not discern until they actually arrived at a spot where they could see them.

( I guess it was because they were in the early 40's and they didn't have a computer driven mouse they could use to fly over the terrain to scout it out while viewing the battlefield from 100m up in the air !!!)

Sarcastic Toad<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just always liked playing at Level one because it had such a hectic jumbled feel to it. Chaotic. In fact, I RARELY play back a film more than once. I just pick one spot (behind my lines of course), and play the film once. I do save ALL the turns of a scenario to play back AFTER i finish the game (then I usually go DOHHH! I screwed up that one!).

IMO, its the only way to play. I never click on an enemy unit, using only the keyboard commands to swap targets. Sometimes, i never PICK the targets ..I let the A.I. do that (I mean, only thing a commander does in battle with respect to targeting is scream "FIRE! FIRE! SHOOT! SHOOT! GET UP AND SHOOT!" Usually, soon afterwards, the commander himself is shot.

I just started jotting the rules down one night between scenario designs. I used them for awhile, tweaked them a bit, and thought "hey, why don't I post them on the board, just for the hell of it?" They got a good response, except for one asshole who emailed me all pissed off because I insinuated that I was insulting BTS (or whatever) because I called everyone. He shall remain nameless, be he goes by Panzerman (whoops).

Its just more fun. And I lose frequently this way. I LIKE games where I lose.

Frank

[ 08-10-2001: Message edited by: Franko ]