Attritionists and Manoeuvrists: Let the healing begin!

Originally posted by Pillar:

How about ScoutPL? wink.gif

Where are all the military guys who have military training in attrition warfare? Are they playing on the maneuver team? Jason is uncharacteristically quiet...

Not that I think that the game will actually prove anything.The attritionists are probably quite right in thinking that with Fionn at the helm leading his merciless horde, it won't matter what the opponents play, they will get pounded into the ground so bad that they will have to dig their way out through China!

I would bet my last dollar that one early alpha tester who is not well-known here (I promised not to tell) for whom I was the 50th and 51st victim in a row in 2 TCPIP games is also on Fionn's team.Pity the poor guy who faces him...

Fionn wisely didn't put me on his team, after checking out my dismal won/lost record and reading my message of a few days ago where I couldn't figure out how a Comet could kill a JdPzIV from the front with the first shot... biggrin.gif

But I do hope that the attritionists find a leader. The game should be very interesting, although the only thing it might prove is that the better players are all maneuverists...errrr, manoeuvrists, Capt...

Henri

OK,

I am willing to take the helm of the other team and play an Attrition based game but now I need a volunteer to Ref the damn thing. I have a set of rules i'd be willing to discuss and have dicussed the the Great Prowler Fionn who concurs so anybody interested?

Jason has graciously declined sighting personal reasons and a general problem with the concept in general.

I respect that and have volunteered to "put my money where my mouth is" so-to-speak and take command of the Attritionist alliance. I intend to bleed white Fionn and his fancy feeted (is that a word)unholy horde. I intend to set military doctrine back 75 yrs and crush might with might on the battle field.

"Recce pull", I can tell you what I think about that but it would get me banned like...well you know.

Now I need some hearty volunteers ready to take on Mr Kelly and give him the thrashing he has been long overdue. Note: Fionn won't actually be in command of any CM battles so he will have to rely on his yet "untested" strategic ability. Please post your name on this board or e-mail me. I need sub-unit commanders who are master CM tacticians. Solid troops capable and immovable.

Fancy feet need not apply.

• 2 months later...

Attrition really only works if you have unbalanced sides. It doesnt work too well if you have balanced sides like CM tends to have. It only works in offense if you get lots of reinforcements, or greatly outnumber the defender. I think its mostly a defensive strategy, to eat away numerically superior attackers. IMHO, the best is a little of both, because manuver gets you in position to maximize the attrition ratio in your favor.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Adam Lloyd:

Still in motion smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Any possibility of relating how things have gone thus far, any suprising developments etc without revealing FOW issues? Just curious, the advocates of "Maneuver vs Attrition" have been quite, let's say, vocal smile.gif and I am wondering how things have played on the virtual battlefield.

Ron

Attrition? would this game just focus on the combat aspects of this, i.e.; kill more of them than they kill of you? Isn't there more to attrition than that? Such as disruption of communications and supply lines, demolishment of the enemies industry and production capability, a basic screwing with the enemies way of life. I thought attrition, in the whole sense, meant destroy your opponents ability to wage war? I mean kill and maim more of his soldiers, but also destroy everything about the enemy that helps his war waging capability. Will this type of thing be modeled? or are you going strictly on a body count?

Dunee,

Well not quite. The game pits the two schools of thought against each other in a Bde setting. On side will ise the philosophy of aufstrastaktic while another Befelstakic(sp?). The control methodology and mentality of the two sides will drive the tactics used.

Now for everybody else, here is what has happened. The one and only Fionn Kelly had volunteered to command the Manouevre Bde while humble ol me commanded the Attritionists. We developed a system of rules and got players and GMs. We played 2 turns in which we caressed recce elements but no fights.

Then Fionn disappeared. I had no note as to why, after repeated attempts to contact him. I can't decide if he is being rude or something serious happened, either way once the other Bde lost their Comd, they kinda sat around like sheep. People started to lose interest.

Eventually the GMs were ready to call us winners by default. Needless to say we were all a little disappointed and pissed that Fionn after much interest would disappear. If anybody is in contact with him please pass on to him that he should have at least dropped me a line. Unless of course it was something truly devastating then I can understand. Fionn was very interested and active, so his dropping out was a little mysterious...he owes me a game too.

Anyway, the Manouvre Bde is planning to appoint another Comd and drum up another player.

My Bde is short two people for Bn CO positions, so if anybody is interested (we're Axis) I am taking names. I hope we can get this thing going as it showed real promise at the start and could be a lot of fun.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The_Capt:

Dunee,

Well not quite. The game pits the two schools of thought against each other in a Bde setting. On side will ise the philosophy of aufstrastaktic while another Befelstakic(sp?). The control methodology and mentality of the two sides will drive the tactics used.

Now for everybody else, here is what has happened. The one and only Fionn Kelly had volunteered to command the Manouevre Bde while humble ol me commanded the Attritionists. We developed a system of rules and got players and GMs. We played 2 turns in which we caressed recce elements but no fights.

Then Fionn disappeared. I had no note as to why, after repeated attempts to contact him. I can't decide if he is being rude or something serious happened, either way once the other Bde lost their Comd, they kinda sat around like sheep. People started to lose interest.

Eventually the GMs were ready to call us winners by default. Needless to say we were all a little disappointed and pissed that Fionn after much interest would disappear. If anybody is in contact with him please pass on to him that he should have at least dropped me a line. Unless of course it was something truly devastating then I can understand. Fionn was very interested and active, so his dropping out was a little mysterious...he owes me a game too.

Anyway, the Manouvre Bde is planning to appoint another Comd and drum up another player.

My Bde is short two people for Bn CO positions, so if anybody is interested (we're Axis) I am taking names. I hope we can get this thing going as it showed real promise at the start and could be a lot of fun.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can't help you with Fionn Kelly though I saw he was posting on the CGO forums a couple days ago.

Thanks for the information, hope you find some new players...

Ron

Well if that was in fact Fionn then we have been the victim of a "hit and run". Kinda like someone who bails out of a TCP game when he doesn't like the look of it.

As he can't respond here I will leave it to you to decide but I for one am not impressed.