Radio on AVF

The thread on T34 series is definitely interesting read.

BTW, it was welled documented that most German tanks in WW2 are equipped with radio.

I am wonder, how did a tank platoon leader command other tanks when his fellow co-workers do not have radioes?

I read from somewhere that the platoon leader actually run around shouting out orders to other TC during WW1. Is this the case here too?

Griffin.

------------------

"When you find your PBEM opportents too hard to beat, there is always the AI."

"Can't get enough Tank?"

Signal flags were in vogue in WW II, I believe. Meant exposing the commander - and in a tank where the commander was also the gunner (and sometimes the loader), this was a lot for him to do.

They usually travelled in platoons, if I'm not mistaken, and kind of played follow the leader.

Actually, I was at our vehicle compound two Wednesdays nights ago, and noticed our local armoured regiment in the turret of their Cougar AFV practicing with signal flags! LOL! I am guessing it is still standard training for AFV crews, and not another case of the Canadian Army being woefully behind the times....

Well, radio on commander tanks also catches a lot of attention. I remember reading "Red Storm Riding" by Larry Bond + Tom Clancy, a good read anyway, the M1 TC tells his gunner to aim the tank with radio -- cause it is the commander tank.

Griffin.

------------------

"When you find your PBEM opportents too hard to beat, there is always the AI."

"Can't get enough Tank?"

Aint know about US Army, in Russia SOP now is to use flags and/or light signals to command march column. The reason is radio silence.

In 40-s they did not use flags in active combat, either. I believe the SOP on attack was basically: platoon CO gives "assume formation" and "charge" orders from the hatch, buttons up and - off we go!

By the way, modern russian tanker SOPs require staying in unbuttoned position in many situations where a US tanker would button up already.