Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

The Bunker

Just saw a flick at the Toronto Film Festival called The Bunker. Its technically a psychological horror, but it is set on the Western front in 1944. Not a bad movie, but my main interest in it was the German equipment used throughout, as its characters are German soldiers (played by English actors, but its not as distracting as I found this in Enemy At The Gates).

I don't know enough about uniforms to say if they were absolutely correct, but they looked good to me. Definitely some work went into making them look worn out which was refreshing.

I question how some of the men carried their MP40s in action - it looked menacing but I don't think they could have fired them. Two MP44s and an MG42 also make an apperance. Would '44 have been to early to see the MP44 on the Westfront?

Gaffertape

The film your referring to may have different source material, although who's to say? I fear that without any of the military gear to keep me occupied I would have been disappointed.

Basic premise is a squad of German soldiers take refuge in a bunker as the Americans advance. Fearing that they are surrounded they attempt to escape via some abandoned and appropriately spooky access tunnels.

Its well acted for the most part, and the storyline had potential, but it didn't frighten me or pay off emotionally.

Gaffertape

Oh, I see.... The movie 'The Bunker' I was referring to depicts the final days of Hitler in his bunker in Berlin. The scariness of the main characters was of course due to the fact the movie was about Hitler and the people around him during his final days.

So, sorry, my mistake.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gaffertape:

Basic premise is a squad of German soldiers take refuge in a bunker as the Americans advance. Fearing that they are surrounded they attempt to escape via some abandoned and appropriately spooky access tunnels.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is there any action in the film or is it just a wartime ghost story?

Just looked in the amazon.com archives and the only "The Bunker" movie I can find is the one about Hitler's final days. Where is the movie you mentioned available? Video stores like Blockbuster perhaps? It sound rather interesting.

EDIT: Cheap wine + Boredom = Bad spelling

[ 09-17-2001: Message edited by: The Commissar ]

JUJU: Ah, yes - I know the film you're referring to, and its a very different story. I think Anthony Hopkins played Hitler in it.

STUKA: Weapons get fired, but there's barely a moment of 'fighting in the field'. Most gunfire is restricted to the tunnels. The men refer to having just been ambushed, but I'm sure that budget constraints precluded them from showing it. Definitely a small independant film with a modest budget, and certainly more of a ghost story than a war story.

COMMISSAR: I think the Toronto Film Festival may have been the first showing of the film. It definitely won't be on video yet, and it may not get a theatrical release, or at least not a wide one. Then again, it does star one of the guys from Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, so that may boost its potential audience. The Internet Movie Database does list it if you search for 'bunker' (look for the one made in 2001), but there's very little info on it.

GAFF