Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Entering buildings

Guest Space Thing

Guest Space Thing

I have it straight, I think. We can only enter a building from the street or side.

Situation:

The QB generates a building that is completely surrounded (in all directions) by other buildings. Like this:

XXX

XOX

XXX

Can that center building (represented by "O") ever be entered?

Guest Der Unbekannte Jäger

Truth be told though I don't think I have ever seen CMBO generate a map like that though. I could be wrong however. smile.gif

------------------

"...come from the sea with nitroglycerine, nitroglycerine and a ladder of rope, and a thing called hope..."

Guest Space Thing

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Der Unbekannte Jäger:

Truth be told though I don't think I have ever seen CMBO generate a map like that though. I could be wrong however. smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm currently in a game where the QB did generate one of a town like that unfortunately.

Guest Der Unbekannte Jäger

Easy fix then, level one of the buildings adjacent and problem solved! May I recommend a 14" Barrage? biggrin.gif

------------------

"...come from the sea with nitroglycerine, nitroglycerine and a ladder of rope, and a thing called hope..."

Originally posted by Der Unbekannte Jäger:

Easy fix then, level one of the buildings adjacent and problem solved!

Unfortunately; problem not solved. frown.gif A destroyed building has exactly the same properties wrt enter and exit as it had before it was destroyed.

So you can't enter a building by starting from rubble.

Cheers

Olle

------------------

Strategy is the art of avoiding a fair fight...

Guest Space Thing

Originally posted by Kingfish:

That center building has no military value whatsoever, so why bother trying to occupy it?

No, not occupy it. Move through it. If the buildings represent an abstraction (at the very least) of real buildings, then there has to be "some" way to move through them. Doors and windows (if they're still there) can be axed, smashed, kicked down, shot or blown up, etc......

BTW, to me everything on the battlefield has some relative military value which can change from turn to turn depending on the circumstances that I face.

No, not occupy it. Move through it. If the buildings represent an abstraction (at the very least) of real buildings, then there has to be "some" way to move through them. Doors and windows (if they're still there) can be axed, smashed, kicked down, shot or blown up, etc......

The way CMBO models buildings you cannot move directly from one to another if both are connected. Picture a stone or brick wall seperating them. Any doors or windows will be found opposite open terrain tiles (as in real life). Notice I said CMBO, as there is some talk of including a "Mousehole" command in CM2. But for now the only way to get from one building to another is exiting the first, moving along the side and entering the next.

BTW, to me everything on the battlefield has some relative military value which can change from turn to turn depending on the circumstances that I face

True, but we are referring to a map feature that you cannot enter, exit, see into, see out of, etc. IMO it shouldn't have been included in the map (why it did I dunno). I can't see much value in that.

------------------

"I do like to see the arms and legs fly"

Guest Space Thing

Originally posted by Kingfish:

True, but we are referring to a map feature that you cannot enter, exit, see into, see out of, etc. IMO it shouldn't have been included in the map (why it did I dunno). I can't see much value in that.

Yes, I agree (now that I know better). Why it is there, I don't know either. It would have the same effect as putting some other blocking terrain feature there. Since they were buildings, I assumed that there was a way into them.

The buildings were arranged like this:

FX

XOX

XOX

XXOX

X

The building represented by "F" is a victory location. The buildings represented by "O" are impossible to enter -even when destroying a building represented by an "X". -I tried. Its strange, I know. I'm sure this will come up in CM2 with Stalingrad scenarios and other urban types.

Is it wrong to say that it might be better to remedy this now since it probably will show up later? I'm just humbly asking.

I can send a file. Thanks.

Guest Space Thing

OK whats it gonna take?

Here try this.

The "S" represents a street.

The "F" represents a victory location.

The "O" represents a blocked building.

The "X" represents a building on a street.

SSSSS

SSFXS

SXOXS

SXOXS

XXOXS

SSXSS

SSSSS

THISW ought to do it. BTS, please feel free to delete the above two posts by me. Sorry.

Is it wrong to say that it might be better to remedy this now since it probably will show up later? I'm just humbly asking

I know that there has been talk of adding a command in which units can create a passage way from one building to another, but you won't see that until CM2 at the earliest.

------------------

"I do like to see the arms and legs fly"

[This message has been edited by Kingfish (edited 01-23-2001).]