Slightly OT: Enemy at the Gates -- The Book

I am on Amazon trying to get a copy of the book Enemy at the Gates. The hardcover is out of print but their is a paperback called Enemy at the Gates: The Movie Tie-In. So, the author is the same - William Craig - what the hell? Is it the original? Revised? What?

I want to read it but I want to make sure I get the right one.

I am also ordering Tides of War, by Steven Pressfield. Gates of Fire (about Thermopylae) was so totally amazing I have to see what his next one is like.

I've always wanted to own Enemy at the Gates, and William Craig is the author of the book I read 10-15 years ago, so I would assume this is the book you want. I may have to buy the paperback, if I can stand looking at the cover.

What's weird is I assumed the movie Enemy at the Gates was based on the novel War of the Rats, since it's focusing much more on the sniper duels in Stalingrad than on the overall battle.

I would highly recommend reading Enemy at the Gates; it's been so long ago that I read it that I can't recommend how historically accurate it is, but I do remember that it was a good enough read to impress me when I was a teenager. Stalingrad, by Antony Beevor, is another more recent history that I would highly recommend.

-Johnnymo

I bought Enemy at the Gates from Amazon last year. I had checked it out from the library and read it as a kid soon after playing Squad Leader for the first time. I found out about it because it was quoted many times in the Squad Leader game manual. Anyway, it was a book I always wanted to buy, so last year I did.

If anyone is interested in buying Enemy at the Gates: The Battle for Stalingrad, it is being sold at http://www.alibris.com/ right now. The book has been out of print for quite awhile, so it is normally a bit hard to find. The prices for this book range from $19.50 to $77.00 at that web site depending on condition and whether it is soft cover or hard cover. To help ease the cost you can use a coupon though for $15 off $30; just enter the code "AMX2001" when you check out.

------------------

Craiger

All your victory flag are belong to me

Well, probably the best book around concerning that famous sniper duel is "War of the Rats".

Check that one out too.

------------------

Honor, Duty, Courage.

Valhalla awaits you, honorable warrior...

------------------

"If you find yourself alone, riding through green fields with the sun on your face, do not be troubled, for you are in Elysium, and YOU ARE ALREADY DEAD!"

Hey, I thought Enemy at the Gates was based on War of the Rats?

What gives?

In any event, Bevor's book, Stalingrad, is excellent. It also does an excellent job of dispelling many of the myths and revisionist histories still being perpetuated about the German army and generalship, through actual official Soviet and German documentation. The comments on Manstein were extremely enlightening.

------------------

Doc

God Bless Chesty Puller, Wherever He Is!

This is the great thing - even if the movie DOESN'T fulfill our expectations, they will reprint the original book, but likely with a movie poster for a cover.

If its by William Craig, I think you can be sure it isn't one of those god awful 'novelizations' of a movie.

Not too long ago I bought an old paperback of Blade Runner by P.K. Dick. It had the movie poster on the cover, but the book was Dick's original novel - "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" which is substantially different than the film. (Still a good read, but more of a dark comedy than a thriller).

GAFF

Okay I am confident that this is indeed the book and my order is up and away! One of the reviewers mentions that the movie IS based more off War of the Rats, and the header on the book's cover says "Inspiration for the movie" so I am convinced this is the original. Thanks everyone, and sorry Moderators.

Hey let's turn this around to Combat Mission. I am hoping for a Stalingrad mega-operation in CM2. With the biggr maps, I would love to see the HUGE city of a torn-up Stalingrad, with an operation to push through.

I purchased the re-released version of Enemy at the Gates (yes it does have the movie poster as a cover) and it appears that everything remained true to the original. Highly recommended read!

------------------

"You can't fight in here, this is the War Room!"

--Dr. Strangelove--

Just so I'm clear now...

There was a book (yes, I read it), Enemy at the Gates.

Which inspired a book, War of the Rats

Which in turn inspired a movie, styled on War of the Rats but named Enemy at the Gates.

Which inspired the re-release of the book, complete with movie cover?

Sounds like something dreamed up by a cesspudlian.

------------------

"Za Rodentia!"

Okay I made my order. I had a 10% off coupon and a $10 coupon, plus if you order four books you get free shipping so I ordered:

Enemy at the Gates

Tides of War

Stalingrad

Forgotten Soldier (Guy Sajer)

Man I can't wait till they get here! I got all that for under $60 and they were hardcovers.

Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

Okay I made my order. I had a 10% off coupon and a $10 coupon, plus if you order four books you get free shipping so I ordered:

Enemy at the Gates

Tides of War

Stalingrad

Forgotten Soldier (Guy Sajer)

Man I can't wait till they get here! I got all that for under $60 and they were hardcovers.

You'll simply LOVE Stalingrad be Bevor.

------------------

Doc

God Bless Chesty Puller, Wherever He Is!