Should the new setting "unrestricted" be the standard for Quick Battles?

In an earlier post, I pleaded for BTS to introduce a way to disguise the force setting in a quick battle. I felt that if my opponent knew I had selected combined arms, he could easily predict my armor capability and probably my entire order of battle. I believe the unrestricted setting solves this, and I will request this in both my team and individual games. What do you think? John

I like the flexibility inherent in an unrestricted force. With a fixed force point allocation, I too often find myself with a significant number of unspent points in various categories, points which together would have gotten me that one more Sherman or Badger.

I hadn't considered the increased FOW aspect, and that's another plus for unrestricted force types.

Hey,

The more I play CM, and the more I learn about small unit tactics, the more I feel that knowing my force composition really doesn't help or hinder my opponent. Using available resources to overcome and achieve victory is one of the greatest challenges in wargaming, and CM captures that exceptionally well. If, by choosing Combined Arms, my opponent thinks they will know my force composition, then they are free to gaze into the crystal ball. I often take no armor at all in CA battles, and winning is still very possible!

Anyway, to each their own, but I don't think it really matters to many commanders.

Chris

------------------

What the hell is a Jagdcarcajou?

CM Recon

If you add up the totals among all the categories, it's generally much larger than the allowed points for the battle. I don't see how you can really end up with that many unspent points-- I rarely have more than about 7 unspent. Once I bought an assault boat (in a dry land scenario) to finish off my points, but it actually turned out to be a gamey thing--it's like putting a big target out to force the enemy units to fire.

------------------

"If you can taste the difference between caviar on a cracker and ketchup on a Kit-Kat while blindfolded, you have not had enough aquavit to be ready for lutefisk." (stolen from some web page about lutefisk)

Originally posted by Jagdcarcajou:

Hey,

The more I play CM, and the more I learn about small unit tactics, the more I feel that knowing my force composition really doesn't help or hinder my opponent. Using available resources to overcome and achieve victory is one of the greatest challenges in wargaming, and CM captures that exceptionally well. If, by choosing Combined Arms, my opponent thinks they will know my force composition, then they are free to gaze into the crystal ball. I often take no armor at all in CA battles, and winning is still very possible!

Anyway, to each their own, but I don't think it really matters to many commanders.

Chris

I too would like to play with infantry only, but I don't want my opponent to know it. If I select "infantry" as a setting, then he will choose his force accordingly. The player who sets up the map, can pick "armor, infantry or combined arms" and the other player would never know it. At least with the unrestricted setting, he doesn't have a scouting report before the battle begins. I for one like that. With an unrestricted setting, one must select the best all around force where your skill at procurement and tactics will determine the outcome. John

Originally posted by Wesreidau:

Is John Kelly a psuedonym for Mr Clark..are you the same guy? ;)

Yes! John Kelly was the main character in the book "Without Remorse" by Tom Clancey. He took the name Clark after joining the CIA. But I am not the gentleman who calls himself Mr. Clark on this forum. John

Guest Captitalistdoginchina

I think it will be interesting to see just what exactly people will buy in the "unrestricted Force" category. My guess is that most will lean towards an armour heavy purchase.

The good thing is you will never know until you meet whether your opponent has purchased an infantry only force or a main armour division smile.gif

I believe that a well balanced combined arms force will be the way to go.

CDIC

------------------

"Death solves all problems - no man no problem"

J.V.Stalin, 1918