Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

TAOW questions

I know some of you have played The Operational Art of War series, especially the Century of Warfare version, so my question is, is this game worth getting for an operational level wargame for anything such as for ****s & giggles?

Does the modern version have Desert Storm scenarios, etc?

------------------

"Live by the sword, live a good LOOONG life!"-Minsc, BGII

"Boo points, I punch."--Minsc, BGII

[This message has been edited by Maximus (edited 01-14-2001).]

Maximus,

TOAW is an excellant system for operational level combat. I have yet to find a game that does a better job. I worked for TS and did the Desert Storm scenario with WBW. I did the OOB and all the TO&E for the Coalition and Iraqi forces. I would get the game.

Pedro

Thanks, I mainly asked this because I just watched a Desert Storm special on the History Channel and the TOAW system was the only game system that I thought of that would possibly have Desert Storm included.

I think my local On Cue store has a copy of the Century of Warfare version. I just may pick it up next week. I still have about $20 in gift credit left for that store. wink.gif

Is there a site with user-made scenarios out there?

------------------

"Live by the sword, live a good LOOONG life!"-Minsc, BGII

"Boo points, I punch."--Minsc, BGII

I have the "Wargame of the Year" edition and I love it. It's my second most favorite game. Do not get the original or elite versions, they have some problems that were worked out in the later versions.

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

I played TOAW (the first version) nearly 1,5 years. And I enjoyed it. Only problems for me were IGO-UGO system and endless ways of cheating - that really drove me off from TOAW.

And of course as a proude owner of the FIRST version, I very much detested the Talonsoft attitude of "Lets make another verson of TOAW and collect more money for the same product". I guess there are about SIX versions of TOAW.

But until Norm Koger was the true first fan and supporter of the first version (numerous patches released) I was satisfied.

------------------

In the flat field I get bored...

I just ordered TOAW:ACW yesterday. Been playing the old Korean War demo in between Combat Mission sessions. IMHO, these games go well together: You'll be able to play a few Bulge scenarios in CM and jump to the same battle area in TOAW for the bigger picture. Im also looking forward to the modern battles, esp. the hypothetical 1962 Invasion of Cuba. BTW, playing the ROK side of the Korean War scenario is downright brutal early on...Communists almost pushed me into the Sea of Japan frown.gif

Guest Heinz 25th PzReg

Hi

I can really recommend the "Centurt of Warfare" edition. You have WW1, WW2, hypotetical scenarios, Desert Storm, etc.

Invasion of Jugoslavia 1999 was a real nailbiter for me. Really worth a try.

Email me for a pbem game when you get the game Maximus.

Regards,

Heinz

------------------

"To subdue your enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence." - Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Visit my AAR site:

home.online.no/~andhess/cm/

Maximus,

TOAW is a great game. In its latest incarnation (Century of Warfare) it is my 2nd best game ever.

IMO no other operational game offers such a generic yet enjoyable system for such a variety of battles.

My long time favourite scenarios must be Crusader and Korea, by Norm himself.

Last but not least, I have a lot of respect for Norm Koger, unlike Talonsoft. The man is responsive and loves what he does. Sort of like the good people at BTS here.

Get the game, it's the best of the genre.

Regards

------------------

My squads are regular, must be the fibre in the musli...