Who needs a compass? My troops are never lost

Are yours? Didn't think so. Ever wonder how that squad can execute a flanking move through 150m of dense forest and come out right where they were planning? I'm not sure how it could be implemented, but I think it would add a little "flavor" to the game if units could get thrown off course when moving "blind". Any takers?

Some ideas about implementation -

Chance of going off course directly proportional to inexperience levels.

Chance of going off course decreases when in command (or maybe that should be increases - what with all the disparaging remarks about 2nd Lts. and compasses!)

Chance of going off course indirectly proportional to "visibility" (not sure how to implement - maybe based on LOS in direction of travel. ie. If you can only see 20m in direction of travel, your chance of getting off course is greater than if your LOS is 500m in direction of travel.

I would picture going off course as having your waypoints adjusted by the ai as the units progress through the move.

I'm sure there would be a lot more to work through...

TigerChow

[ 11-12-2001: Message edited by: TigerChow ]</p>

You should try playing by the Iron Man Rules. Under these rules you can only view the battlefield from view 1 and only from the position of your units. This means no more "cheating" by having aerial or top-down views of the battlefield, only the realistic views that your soldiers get. Also, you can't turn off the trees so it makes moving in a forest very confusing. There are many other rules that make the Iron man rules very challenging and more realistic. It actually makes the computer AI more challenging to play.

IMHO, this is a good idea in theory, but it would make some tactical situations unplayable.

Imagine an infantry force advancing through woods at night, when they're hit with a heavy arty barrage. I can just see the squads running every which way, scurrying for cover like cockroaches running from the light, right before they all start firing at each other in a disoriented fragfest of destruction... ten seconds later, the Combat Mission CD is removed from the drive, broken in two, then flung across the room... smile.gif

It'd be realistic, but on the fun-o-meter it ranks right up there with getting a root canal. ;) (at least for those of us who tend toward the control freak end of the scale) smile.gif