HOAX VIRUS ALERT!

Guest Stuart J. Vincent

Guest Stuart J. Vincent

AVERT HOAX Notice!!

McAfee AVERT Labs would like to inform you of a new email HOAX.

This email message is just a HOAX. Although, the SULFNBK.EXE file may become infected by a number of valid viruses (most commonly W32/Magistr@MM, the details of this HOAX message are not based on actual events.

We are advising users who receive the email to delete the message and DO NOT pass it on as this is how an email HOAX propagates.

SULFNBK.EXE is a Microsoft Windows utility that is used to restore long file names

Below is the actual text from the message that may be received via email. There are numerous variations on these messages.

(English version)

A VIRUS could be in your computer files now, dormant but will become active on June 1. Try not to USE your Computer on June 1st. FOLLOW DIRECTIONS BELOW TO CHECK IF YOU HAVE IT AND TO REMOVE IT NOW. No Virus software can detect it. It will become active on June 1, 2001. It might be too late by then. It wipes out all files and folders on the hard drive. This virus travels thru E-mail and migrates to the 'C windows\command' folder. To find it and get rid of it off of your computer, do the following.

Go to the "START" button.

Go to "FIND" or "SEARCH"

Go to "FILES & FOLDERS"

Make sure the find box is searching the "C:" drive.

Type in: SULFNBK.EXE

Begin search.

If it finds it, highlight it. Do not double click or file will automatically open.

Go to 'File' and delete it.

Close the find Dialog box

Open the Recycle Bin

Find the file and delete it from the Recycle bin

You should be safe.

The bad part is: You need to contact everyone you have sent ANY E-mail to in the past few months. Many major companies have found this virus on their computers. Please help your colleagues and friends !

DO NOT RELY ON YOUR ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE. McAFEE and NORTON CANNOT DETECT IT BECAUSE IT DOES NOT BECOME A VIRUS UNTIL JUNE 1ST.

WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT OPEN THE FILE!!!

[ 12-18-2001: Message edited by: Sgt. Grunt ]</p>

Sgt. Grunt, I don't want to be too wary, but would someone with full knowledge & credentials confirm what Sgt. Grunt is saying here. It seems that I have this sulfnbk.exe in my c:\windows\dommand file. :mad: :mad:

I guess that this is bad. :(:(

Need help.

Cheers, Richard :mad: :(

Just in case anyone is unclear, there is no SULFNBK.exe virus. It is a prank desigend to get unsuspecting PC users to delete a necessary file.

McAfee's page on this virus hoax/prank can be found here.

IF YOU ACCIDENTALLY DELETED YOUR SULFNBK.EXE FILE:

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>In the event that SULFNBK.EXE was deleted erroneously, the following method may be used to restore the file from backup:

-- Windows 98 Instructions --

1) Click START - RUN, type SFC and hit ENTER

2) In the "Specify the system file you would like to restore" field, type C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\SULFNBK.EXE and hit ENTER

3) In the RESTORE FROM field, type in the path to your WINDOWS CAB files

(ie. C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS)

(ie. D:\WIN98 where D is the drive letter assigned to your CD-ROM)

4) Click OK and continue with the restore function

-- End Windows 98 Instructions --

-- Windows ME Instructions --

1) Click START - RUN, type MSCONFIG and hit ENTER

2) Click the Extract Files button

3) In the "Specify the system file you would like to restore" field, type C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\SULFNBK.EXE and hit ENTER

4) In the RESTORE FROM field, type in the path to your WINDOWS CAB files

(ie. C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\INSTALL)

5) Click OK and continue with the restore function

-- End Windows ME Instructions -- <hr></blockquote>

[ 12-18-2001: Message edited by: MrSpkr ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by MrSpkr:

Just in case anyone is unclear, there is no SULFNBK.exe virus. It is a prank desigend to get unsuspecting PC users to delete a necessary file.<hr></blockquote>

Annoying, useless, and demented but correct Peng Challenge Thread members:

Kicking Butt for Goodness!