Tall pines in Ukraina?

Two things - at one stage someone posted a link to a site with I think pre 2nd WW russian maps at great detail. I have a steppe one and a mountain one Cauacasus sitting on one of the computers. They were about 2 mB each. I have a sneaky feeling they did not cover the Crimea.

I would tend to have my suspicions about tall pines if the area is not ,ountain as I think the southern Ukraine would be very dry and hot in the summer which makes me think more of the stunted scrubby pines being likely.

Thanks!

Perhaps it was this site,

http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/EART/x-ussr/ukraine.html

Fantastic site tongue.gif

Cover whole Ukraine 1:100 000, but I having trouble with interpreting the symbols and coulors (no legend).

A general remark is that fighting in (Southern)Russia probably was conducted in large open areas with very little cover at all. I've seen pictures were soldier used dead bodies for cover/protection in lack of anything else.

A real challenge for any scenario designer, to make an interesting scenario with just open spaces!

Regards/

The Crimea has a mild climate. You can compare it to Southern France. Most pictures you find of the Crimea are from sites near the coast.

80% of the Crimea is indeed really flat as the Netherlands with only some grasses and brush as plantation.

The most Southern part of the Crimea from Sevastopol pass Yalta, all the way up to the Eastern side consists of mountainous terrain with mixed vegetation. Tall pines do grow there on the slopes and ridges of cliffs.

• 9 months later...

"Pinus Mugo - the dwarf mountain pine from the mountains of central and southern Europe is a very variable species. This bushy pine rarely grows over 5 metres.

Pinus Nigra - native to the mountain areas of SE Europe can grow to 40 metres but it often remain much lower as they are extremely variable"

Take your choice smile.gif

Googling provides some pretty pictures. And I have learnt the mountains there rise to 1500 metres! photo albums here

I have been to the south of Turkey and as you come of the coastal plain the countrside becomes almost Alpine till you hit the central plateau.

I imagine in the Crimea that large trees would have been put to use in building etc. so any expectation of large forests of lofty trees would be unlikely even if you granted them adequate moisture and protection from strong winds .

Whether the Soviets had planted plantations I know not but presumably they would have been quite young and on the flatter sandy plains.

I do not suppose though that anyone who plays your scenario will pick up much on it anyway : )

Judging from the photos presented, mountain and Baklava I feel reasonbly happy that 5 metre trees predominate : ) . Funnily enough I spent a fortnight working as a gardener at a private pinetum in Valette du Var adjacent to Toulon - not that I know very much really.!!

I am very pleased that designers are looking at the terrain and vegetation for various areas. As a traveller and geography nut I think it adds a lot to the atmosphere if the terrain is not transplanted New England, or modern Europe slapped down and called authentic.

As I rarely play scenarios I can only go back to the early days and it certainly looks as things have improved in design since CMBO- especially as the game seems not that flexible for designing.

Keep up the good work lads: ) PS I was really impressed with Eichenbaums op. Lastly I was just thinking how adding a few photos of terrain to a briefing might add a large reality factor to the scenario. I suppose they would have to be by means of a link but still ............

regards

diesel