How to create Extreme FOW settings

Guest Napoleon1944

Guest Napoleon1944

To add some additional Fog of War I have done the following through Mods:

Made all flags invisible. You no longer know if the flag is a large or small one. You don't even know if you control the VP area!

The flagpole can be modded to be invisible! Haven't done this yet, but would make it interesting.

Changed the unit ratings lables to: 2nd Rate for conscript and green. 1st rate for Regulars and Veterans. Crack for crack and elites. This way you are not totally sure of any troop quality. You could even blank all of them out if you want.

Additional items can be removed such as LOS marker colors and unknown vehicle contact and troop markers. I will make all these into an extreme FOW zip file if people are interested.

Needless to say it has a huge impact on gameplay.

------------------

The only enemy I fear is nature.

-Napoleon

Guest aka PanzerLeader

A while back SlapDragon had also suggested to play the game through view 1 only. More realistic, and certainly adds to the FOW(what the hell is there behind that hill??). Only problem are the huge scenarios, where it becomes difficult to keep track of everything with view1. Your mind has difficulty connecting the battlefield parts together.

Originally posted by aka PanzerLeader:

A while back SlapDragon had also suggested to play the game through view 1 only. More realistic, and certainly adds to the FOW(what the hell is there behind that hill??). Only problem are the huge scenarios, where it becomes difficult to keep track of everything with view1. Your mind has difficulty connecting the battlefield parts together.

I like the sound of the invisible flags; very interesting concept. I like it alot, actually.

Hidden LOS and unconfirmed units - I'd need to try this before commenting. You say you haven't tried this yourself yet? Keep us posted when you do.

I like the Airborne scenario where you play from level 1 only - but that accurately reflects the airborne drops on 6 June - no command control.

It's interesting to ponder if it is relevant to the majority of situations - radios, runners, land lines and maps were pretty much de rigeur, but having said that we all know that the maps were wrong some of the time, the radios were jammed or not working much of the time, runners got killed and land lines were useless once the battalion was in contact, since it was crazy to run them forward into a hot area.

Edit - what I also liked about Steel Panthers (I think?) is that the last turn of the game was not necessarily last. There was a random chance that the last listed turn would not be the final one - it helped end unrealistic last turn charges for terrain that were clearly gamey to the max.

[This message has been edited by Michael Dorosh (edited 01-25-2001).]

The mode 1 worked. It was not for the weak of heart. I played it with two gamers here at the University and we had a blast, but were always nervous that we were missing a tank somewhere.

BTW -- we actually climbed hills to see.

Originally posted by Napoleon1944:

Made all flags invisible. You no longer know if the flag is a large or small one. You don't even know if you control the VP area!

I assume you mean painting the flags transparent pink. But why do this? You can just turn them off by hitting Shift-F.

Additional items can be removed such as LOS marker colors

I'm not sure what you mean by this. What LOS marker colors?

Guest aka PanzerLeader

SlapDragon: you're telling me you can play the Large-Huge battles with view 1? You're superman! wink.gif I can only enjoy it with Small-Tiny battles.

Actually large battles with view 1 only would much remind me of blind chess...You've got to imagine that battlefield in your head tremendously well to plot any move above Platoon Level. Or else you've got to know the battlefield really well beforehand.

SlapDragon: you're telling me you can play the Large-Huge battles with view 1? You're superman! wink.gif I can only enjoy it with Small-Tiny battles.

Actually large battles with view 1 only would much remind me of blind chess...You've got to imagine that battlefield in your head tremendously well to plot any move above Platoon Level. Or else you've got to know the battlefield really well beforehand.

You know, it was pretty a largish board, and you really had to keep things in memory. You kept going DOH as you left a unit alone for a turn. Ideally, some force management tools would be needed, but for ironman contests that are about as real as CM gets, it was very cool.

Guest Napoleon1944

Yes, I suppose minefields could be "painted pink" too. Good idea.

The LOS markers are the colored vectors you use during play. Marks LOS, vectors to leader, etc. I will have to try it out and see if it has any merit.

Anyone want to help playtest? We can start an EFOW club.

------------------

-Napoleon

I would really enjoy playing from ONLY view 1 and/or 2 IF I knew that the game restricted both myself and my opponent to only view 1 or 2 and there was no way to over ride it.

For CM2 a lock to view 1 and/2 option should be available, that combined with a new Extreme FOW setting would be VERY very COOL!

I'm afraid I know I don't have the self discpline to stay at view 1 and locked only to the units in my command. But it would be fun if it was an option.

-tom w

Here is another one I'd like in the same category - hidden exit locations. Right now, one gets those silly looking "enemy exits here" signs, which are #1 rather mood-breaking (extremely artificial) and #2 how the heck do I know which way he is trying to go?

If I should, let the briefing tell me. But without specific intel, there should be e.g. meeting engagements where neither side even knows which direction the other side is coming from or headed toward. So exit locations should be hidden to enemy players, and incidentally even the friendly ones should be toggled off or on as the player directs.

Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

I would really enjoy playing from ONLY view 1 and/or 2 IF I knew that the game restricted both myself and my opponent to only view 1 or 2 and there was no way to over ride it.

For CM2 a lock to view 1 and/2 option should be available, that combined with a new Extreme FOW setting would be VERY very COOL!

I'm afraid I know I don't have the self discpline to stay at view 1 and locked only to the units in my command. But it would be fun if it was an option.

-tom w

This was a hot seat game. My University has about 10 hard core CM gamers, and there is always a graphic workstation with a 21 inch monitor around to play on. We rotate, erasing our personal copy from the computer and installing on a work station for a few days (still can convince the college to buy CM for all the work stations.)

Guest Napoleon1944

Yes, exit zones. Keep the ideas coming!

Just looked at the minefield, now its totally hidden. I thought the stick would show up for the sign, but thats gone too. Should be interesting, minefields will be totally impartial. Better leave friendly exit in for now, but that could keep gamers replaying until they figured out they needed to exit.

------------------

-Napoleon

Guest aka PanzerLeader

Then stay in your positions when you are defending, like a good soldier!

Hey, I'm a PanzerLeader, not a bloody infantryman, my defense consists of counterattacks! wink.gif The infantry can fight and die where they are, I'm outta here!