Looking for title of a book I read several years ago...

Guest Offwhite

Guest Offwhite

I once read a book that portrayed a hypothetical battle in hedgerow country - though fiction, it was not so much a plot-driven novel as it was an illustration of combined arms tactics. It featured American infantry supported by British armor and artillery (yeah, I know) trying to take a Norman farm. I could have sworn it was a Keegan title, but searches amongst his stuff on bookseller sites have been fruitless.

It would make a good basis for a scenario, if only I could find it! Does this sound familiar to anyone?

------------------

Yes, makin' mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep

Is cheaper than them uniforms, an' they're starvation cheap

- Rudyard Kipling, "Tommy"

I know the book you mean Offwhite and I'm in the same boat as you: interested in finding it again. Hope someone can help.

There is another fictional account of a British bocage attack written by a former Brit officer who served in Normandy which was really good but I can't recall the name. I remember in it a JagdPanther(or similar) crew had to abandon their vehicle without firing a shot when it became immobilised in place and outflanked. You'd be pissed off if that happened in CM hehe.

------------------

Muddying the waters as usual.

I remember this book too... at least I think so. A very methodical rendering of what occurred, almost dry, matter of fact, but still very interesting. No descriptions of 'sheets of flame or hail of bullets' stuff. Could the title be: "Anatomy of a Battle" ?? or could it actually be

"Combat Mission" ? (honestly).

Guest Offwhite

Rock on, Louie! I think that's the one. "Anatomy of a Battle" by Kenneth Macksey. It's out of print but they have it at the library, so I know what I'm reading this weekend! Thanks again!

------------------

Yes, makin' mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep

Is cheaper than them uniforms, an' they're starvation cheap

- Rudyard Kipling, "Tommy"

[This message has been edited by Offwhite (edited 01-19-2001).]