TCP/IP address question

Unless you have been assigned a static IP

address by your ISP (many DSL and cable modem users have this) then you have what is called a "dynamic IP". Basically it changes

every time you connect to your ISP.

It remains the same during the length of your

connection so you won't have any problem playing.

Originally posted by Phoenix:

Unless you have been assigned a static IP

address by your ISP (many DSL and cable modem users have this) then you have what is called a "dynamic IP". Basically it changes

every time you connect to your ISP.

Well... it depends on the subnet you are on. But at some point your lease is up and you have to apply for a new one. If it's a busy network, you just might have your ip changed every time you log on... I can keep a lease for several months, but every now and then I release it and get a new one as my ISP is lame and often gets congested. I know people that haven't paid for a static IP but have been able to sucessfully run servers with vanity host names as their IP rarely changes.

At the end of the day, it's no big deal if it changes all the time... just do a lookup every time you get set to play.

On a Dynamic IP, usually the first three sets of numbers stays the same. It's the last set that changes.

Ex.

Mine is 216.240.083.xxx, where xxx will be different each time I dial up.

------------------

For your dream car click here.

For a Close Encounter click here.

Hey look! I can see my house!

And for all you Hamster Lovers out there, check this out! Kitty, this one's for you!