MGs against vehicles - how effective?

I've seen 0.50s take out halftracks and armored cars and even some open topped TDs. Awesome weapon. Too bad it only has 40 rounds in a standard QB.

But I have not seen any other MG in the game do this. The HMG42 would be the most likely candidate to also do this, but I've only seen it take out a jeep. Can they destroy HTs or open topped TDs or even Greyhounds?

What about the vickers? I have yet to see them do any damage to any vehicles (except the kubelwagon). Yet they keep firing at them as if they can.

M1919? They keep shooting at vehicles too. Not sure they actually kill anything, but they fire merrily away. Perhaps they're only trying to button up the tank/APC? Can they penetrate the APCs? If not, then seems a waste to target them with the M1919.

Thanks

[editted to say I did the requisite search but found way too many hits to search them all]

------------------

Jeff Abbott

[This message has been edited by Juardis (edited 01-04-2001).]

Yeah the Vickers seems to be an excellent killer more so than just a suppressor. I played a scenario the other day where I had two Vickers protecting one of my flanks and they held it! I brought up two squads to help though. This was all in a tree line boardering a road facing a couple wheat fields where the Germans tried to attck through. Made a great killing field. No pun intended. wink.gifbiggrin.gif

------------------

"Live by the sword, live a good LOOONG life!"-Minsc, BGII

"Boo points, I punch."--Minsc, BGII

Guest Mikey D

.50 caliber Browning is 12.6mm, .30 cal is 7.62mm. The 50 throws a much larger round and these are often steel-cored. If you were to see a .50 cal machinegun in the flesh (or even a single round) it would probably surprise you just how big it is. A whole different beast than the lighter MG42, etc.