Searching Italian Players

There's a funny scene in Gavin's "On to Berlin" where, during the invasion of Sicily, some paratroopers capture an Italian. Apparently the Italians had been told that the paratroopers were dangerous criminals who were only let out of prison if they agreed to become paratroopers; the punk-style haircuts worn by the paratroopers was seen as further evidence of this.

Anyway, after the paratroopers captured this guy, one of them was going to cut the buttons off of his fly (apparently so he couldn't run away without his pants falling down). Anyway, having a paratrooper grab his pants and put a knife up to his crotch (quite reasonably) caused the captured soldier to panic, and he apparently panicked so effectively that he actually escaped. I think that my motivation to escape would also be pretty high in that circumstance.

I think BTS doesn't model this exactly; I think it's handled as an abstraction.

An Italian officer assigned to command a unit at the confluence of the US 92 Infantry (a black American division), the 442nd RCT (a Japanese American Division) and the Brazillian Expeditionary Force (A division sized Brazillian unit) commented, "The Allies just do not know how they want their coffee." The Germans were equally confused because captured Brazzillian and Nissei troops would pretend not to know English. The black soldiers, not to be outdone, would talk in very rapid southern dialect, a dialect that the many northern black soldiers did not know -- so they would speak a completely different patois made up on the spot and completely incomprehensible even to themselves.

German and Italian captors finally game up and did not even bother interrogating these POWs.

[ 09-23-2001: Message edited by: Slapdragon ]