How can the AI see me?

(This is my first picture post so I hope this works.)

I am playing a pretty generic 500 point QB. I am the Germans. My plan is to test hafltracks and see what makes them tick in CM. I place these two behing this house, in between lots of cover AND set them to hide. In theory at least, there is now way any of the opposition can see them. I don't even move them. On this turn, as you see, the AI has spotted my halftracks and has started the arty.

There is no enemy even close to this position, let alone any that can see me. The battle has only just started.

arty.jpg

[This message has been edited by phil stanbridge (edited 01-25-2001).]

I don't think the AI can see you. On a map that size the AI just happened to drop arty on a obvious advance route. Road/building/woods. Just a coincidence.

------------------

"If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them." - Jack Handey

That's what I thought. But I have tried this many times before on bigger maps and get the same results. Okay, it might take a fraction longer - but how come I can't see his ht's the same way he can see mine? Interesing eh?

I have to hunt down the arty spotters and take them out. That's my only defense it would seem! Surely others have this problem??

Originally posted by phil stanbridge:

That's what I thought. But I have tried this many times before on bigger maps and get the same results. Okay, it might take a fraction longer - but how come I can't see his ht's the same way he can see mine? Interesing eh?

That doesn't look like off-map arty-are you sure that's what it is? The shellholes are in a more or less straight line along the road and there's not a lot of dispersion. Is there an on map mortar or direct fire gun? Either of those could have los and remain hidden while firing.

------------------

"If you can taste the difference between caviar on a cracker and ketchup on a Kit-Kat while blindfolded, you have not had enough aquavit to be ready for lutefisk." (stolen from some web page about lutefisk)

This may sound like a stupid question, but are you sure you are playing with full FOW?

The reason I ask is that you mentioned that the battle just started, and I notice from the screenshot that it's turn 4. Well, it usually takes a couple of turns for an arty mission to fall, so that leads me to believe that you do not have full FOW on and the AI saw your HTs from the first turn.

Here's another possibility. I notice that the americans have control of the town to your right front. There are several large buildings there, perhaps they managed to get a spotter on the top floor of one of them and possibly caught a glimpse of the right hand HT. I know that's a stretch but I've seen weirder stuff happen... wink.gif

------------------

"I do like to see the arms and legs fly"