New WW2 Movie!! Hundreds of T-34s, Soviets vs Imperial Japan... Trailer Available

PS-poster2.jpg

Go to this site:

http://www.geocities.com/monkeypeaches

WW2 film made by some Oriental film company or something...

Anyway the important thing is that there are MASSIVE tank scenes - just watch the trailer - and people get KILLED at close range with AUTHENTIC WW2 guns.

This is film is being made by cold-blooded foreigner types, so there won't be any childish Spielberg psychology or Russian whores with sniper rifles (Enemy At The Gates).

I have a few questions concerning the trailer (since the RealPlayer trailer I downloaded wasnt exactly high quality):

What are those enemy tanks the T-34's are attacking? From the few seconds of blurry image that the trailer showed us, it kinda looked like PZIII's. Did Germany give Japan tanks? If those were the so called Japanese 'tanks', I hope this movie doesnt show them being able to KO T-34's or Soviet heavies. You know, the old "we only got our arses handed to us because there were so many of them!" motto you see in movies made by countries who ended up losing.

What was that (destroyer?) the Japanese planes were attacking? It wasnt very clear at all. I would have assumed it was Soviet, only I dont know much about the state of the Soviet navy during WW2, and whether they participated in sea battles against the Japs. Anyone care to clarify?

[ 04-28-2001: Message edited by: The Commissar ]

Throughout the war USSR kept a sort of "armistice" with Japan until August 1945. My impression is that Japanese never really wanted to go north. Their defeat in a border conflict in 1939 (Halhin-Gol) helped, too. However, in perception of Soviet leaders, the threat was there.

Hence, USSR maintained a sizeable force in Far Eastern military district throughout the war. This force was "sizeable" only in manpower - no modern tanks, very few heavy weapons. Part of that force was Pacific Fleet, consisting of no less than 40 submarines and an assortment of surface ships, mainly DDs and smaller (by doctrine, USSR had lots of subs and coastal defence ships, but very few capital ships and no aircraft carriers at all).

Afaik, during 1941-44 Soviet Pacific Fleet worked in convoys and such, and there were no large engagements with Japanese Imperial Navy, except a few incidents.

After the war in Europe was over, and following his commitments in Yalta, Stalin ordered redeployment of a lot of troops and their equipment from Europe to Far East. This force went through Japanese Quantung Army like a hot knife through butter. Success of this operation was largely determined by a series of strikes in unexpected places. This included a crossing of "impassable" terrain in Mongolia (Goby desert and mountain range) and several sea landings. The landings were, quite naturally, assisted by the navy.

[ 04-28-2001: Message edited by: Skipper ]