Need some good War stories from

If you are looking for good "war stories" on CM games, try the CM Scenario-talk forum (separate from this forum). And if you are looking to pick up tips and tricks for playing the game, you might want to review the "after action reports" (AAR's) of multiplayer games at the CMHQ site. Added reference articles are available there too.

For one example of a "war story" at the CM Scenario-talk forum (a bit of shameless plug here wink.gif ), click the following link:

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum6/HTML/000721.html

[This message has been edited by Spook (edited 01-03-2001).]

Ok... I had a really cool battle last night, so I'll tell you about it.

The Setup: QB, Large, Large hills, village, clear, March 1945. Meeting/Engagement- 3000 pts.

I played Combined Arms allies, CPU was Combined Arms Axis.

My major armor was 2 Super Pershings, 2 Churchill AVRE... Support vehicles were 3 Wasps, 4 Grey Hounds, and 10 M3 Halftracks... 1 105 VT spotter, 1 4.5 in Rocket spotter, and 12 rifle squads (and cooresponding HQs).

During setup phase I scoped out the landscape and found two nice perches for my Pershings. ABout 150m off of the front line, and 5 levels above the town, they had a great view of the slopes leading to the town on the other side of the map. I figured that the PC would choose to place it's armor their.

I grouped all my fire teamsput them in their half tracks and started.

I was right... on the opposite side (about 1600m) I was able to pick out 1 Panther, 2 hetzers, and a slew of half tracks... all under the grim gaze of my Pershings 90mm gum.

Buy the end of turn 1, 5 halftracks, 2 hetzers, and 1 AC were in flames, my pershings emerged unscathed. The Panther popped smoke 3 seconds into the turn, and high tailed it.

Round one to me.

Next, I raced my half tracks down the valley to the town... all was relatively quiet for about 4 turns. My Pershings would fire on tank crews etc. that were left on the opposing hill, but that is about it.

Then all hell broke loose.

A German colum came screaming down a paved road that stretched the middle of the map along the deepest point of the valey. My Men and half tracks tore into them as the tripped the ambush sites along the road... this might have been a mistake!

The town drew the attention of the German observers and smoke and fire rained on the town for 6 turns. half the town was descimated, half my men were dead, the rest held their ground with their fingernails as the German infantry slowly gathered themselves and started moving up the 100 meters of hill between the roadside littered with burning half tracks and the town littered with bleeding GIs.

In boxing terms, we had just traded body blows.

As the fight grew ever closer to the town, and the German troops started to slow under ever increasing fire from the town, my Churchills crawled slowly westward to the town in support. The Pershings were sitting where they started, clear field of fire over most of the map... hitting rogue half tracks now and again as the crested the a small hill in the valley road heading east.

Clearly this was the German focus... clearly they were bent on grabbing the largets and esiest defended objectives first... or so I thought...

Just east of the city was a rather steep mountain that rose sharply of the allied side, and then gently sloped for about 500m into a pack of incredibly dense forrest; between the crest of the hill and the edge of the forrest sat a small farm house and a major objective flag... on the other side of that forrest was the valley road... just 200m east on Valley Road was the edge of the map.

My Churchill AVREs crested the hill, and for the first time I had direct view of that farm house, and the forrest beyond...

....You ever see Aliens? Where ther guy grabs the flashlight and looks above the cieling tiles and sees the aliens slowly crawly towards him en masse? Well, picture aliens with rifles, and that is what I saw on that slope...

Next turn I swung my Churchills around and targeted the field where the Germans were swarming... and if you have never seen the effect of a 290mm round on exposed infantry, maybe you shouldn't... it's gruesome. The Churchills caught 7 rifle squads in the open, a two in the farm house. When the Farm house colapsed, the Germans began the retreat to the tree line. The tree line was targeted by my 105VT and 4.5in rockets.

The timing was perfect, as soon as the last surving squad fell back into the woods, the bombs started dropping. The vice was closing, and it wasn't going to be pretty...

I raced my Wasps to the western objective and parked then near the tree line... and set the forrest ablaze.

When the smoke cleared I would count no less than 12 eliminated rifle squads... neatly butchered and Bar-B-Qued.

Karma is a wierd thing... without the Churchill support, my men in town weren't fairing so well. The bombs kept falling, houses kept collapsing, the whole town was in flames at this point. There was only so much I could do to hold the line. I kept backing up, he kept moving forward.

At this point I wasn't confident enough to pull the Churchills off there current patrol, so I left it to the Greyhounds and the remaining Wasp to snap the German advance. I russhed them up to the front and parked them in what could only be described as mainstreet.

My wasp then went on a house to house burn. THe Germans started falling back, my men advanced through the alleys catch the Germans as they pulled back. Again, the tide was turning in my favor and *POP*... my wasp explodes.

Wh-what?! I though to myself... I couldn't see where the shot came from. I was focusing on the troops watching them route the infantry.

I rewound the tape and replayed the death of my Wasp. I figgured it came from the west.. I looked down the street and... ooooh..... craaaaap....

A Tiger Tank was slowly moving it's way down the street. The road he is on sits below my local Pershings arc of fire, and he will need to do some manuevering to get down off his perch... the second Pershing is over a click away.. he may get a shot when... when... I mean IF the Tiger continues down the road. If he turns left back into the valley I will have a real problem on my hands. He will be flanking my infantry, and it'll me a slick trick to swing my Grey hounds around to his rear.

Want to know what happens next?

ME TOO!!!! I didn't get a chance to finish frown.gif

I still have 20 turns left... and with numerous half tracks probably still roaming (I can only assume with the sheer number of German Infantry)... The 5 or 6 Rifle squads in town, the Damn Tiger and.... ooohhhhh F%$#@!!! That friggin' PANTHER still on the prowl...

Crap!

Not to mention that I probably have some war crimes in my future for my actions on Widows Peak (as I cam to know it)...

What a great game!!!

Joe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TownsendVol:

Can I also get a link to Wild Bills Scenarios so I will be ready when the game arrives. I tried the search and came up with posts from him but no links.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have posted a number of CM AARs both here and on the war-historical usenet forum; if you can't find them, let me know and I can email them to you.

Make sure you check out the AARs on the CMHQ site.

Wild Bill's site is http://wbr.thegamers.net/

Henri