Probe, Attack, Assault - what's the sense???

IMO, and Assault is an attack with around +16% purchase points, while a probe is an attack with -10% pp...so what the difference between a probe/assault and an attack with handicap/opportunity?

------------------

Keine Gefangenen!

Visit my Combat Mission Sound Mods site!

Scipiobase

Join the Blitzkrieg Wargaming Club

for two players of differing levels the handicap thing could be used for bidding.

It has been suggested that there might be bidding for the germans in The T-house ladder.

This could be handy for someone to say I'll take the germans on the defense and you take the allies and probe, then the other player could reply, no I'll take the germans and give you the Allies on attack.

This makes sense for players of different level to even things out, or for bidding purposes (ok I guess almost all ladder games are Meeting engagements, so this may be more theoretical than anything else.)

-tom w

Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

I guess almost all ladder games are Meeting engagements, so this may be more theoretical than anything else.

Just out of curiosity, why? (I'm playing my first ladder game ever at the moment, and I'm defending.)

Originally posted by Nabla:

Just out of curiosity, why? (I'm playing my first ladder game ever at the moment, and I'm defending.)

I've found that most ladder players dislike attack/defend type games because the ME types are just more "fair." In a ME you get the same amount of points and you both start from equal positions. Of course the map could favor one side or the other, but everything else is pretty much balanced. When I first started (not that I'm all that experienced now, lol) I too liked the attack/defend type games. Now I've gone over to the other side though and pretty much only play ME games if they are for the ladder.

------------------

Craiger

All your victory flag are belong to me

Originally posted by Nabla:

It would seem most folks on the t-house ladder prefer the ME because there is a perception that is it is the most fair and balanced way to start out. Like Chess, both players get the same amount of points and the flags are roughly in the middle.

I would humbly suggest that you are about to be severely abused on the defense if you are playing a ladder game for the first time.

Which side do you have? (Axis/Allies?)

how many points?

is it a probe? assualt or attack?

just curious more than anything else?

Good luck (I think you will need it)

-tom w

Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

I would humbly suggest that you are about to be severely abused on the defense if you are playing a ladder game for the first time.

Which side do you have? (Axis/Allies?)

how many points?

is it a probe? assualt or attack?

just curious more than anything else?

Good luck (I think you will need it)

It's a 700 point attack where I'm defending as Axis. It's been interesting. I don't feel abused so far. For the first few rounds the weather's been mostly 81mm thick smoke. (Oops, almost wrote some spoilers for my opponent, had to edit them away.) I can give you the details when the dust has settled.

[This message has been edited by Nabla (edited 03-28-2001).]