Can I change the displayed date/troop selection in a scenario?

I was hoping to recreate a scenario of a battle in the German invasion of Poland, but there's no way in the in-game editor to select September 1939. Likewise, the Polish troops I select are all of the 1944 variety (whether it's CMBO or CMAK...I don't know if they're available at all in CMBB). Is there any file I can manually update to at least change the displayed names (i.e., change the "44" to "39" for the Polish infantry, and the battle date to September 1939)?

The German troops aren't that hard to simulate using CMAK (there were Pzkw IIs and the 1918 Infantry gun, for example, during the invasion of Poland), though the Heer troops would have to display "39" instead of "41".

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

'39 Polish troops are not modelled in CMBB, therefore cannot be selected. The '44 polish troops have equipment that wasn't even invented in '39, so a simple name change isn't going to work. All this data is in the main game file, which is anything but open source, so: no, you cannot edit it.

Your best bet is to use Early Soviets (all rifles, such as Recon C or pioneers, at a guess) to simulate Polish equipment and organisation and just say that the date is '39 in the briefing.

Poland is better similuated in CMBB. By convention (but not regularly followed!) such scenarios have a POL at the end of the name. You might look at the following scenario to get an idea how different nationalities and equipment can be used to represent the 1939 Poles. Best of luck.

Small Battles, Polish Spoiler

Small Battles, Corridor POL

Small Battles, Noose POL

It absolutely can be done easily to have 1940 British, French and Polish squads with 1940 equipment in CMAK. :D

I am currently working on my next Gebirgs pack scenario depicting the battle for Narvik in Norway. Against the Gebirgs forces I have 1940 British, French and Polish units.

Here is how you do it. Load your battle or op and go into parameters. Change it to North Afrika, August 1941. In the unit editor select your 1940 French, British or Polish units. Save and load and go back to parameters and change the setting to Italy and the date to 1943-44 and terrain to dirt( whatever works specific to the weather and ground conditions you desire for your scenario) The Allied troops will still be 1940 label with only rifles, grenades, the occasional thompson and Brens, and as an added bonus the editor will put long pants on them in liue of the shorts.

I was planning on making some other early war scenarios using this trick after the Gebirgs series wraps up. Hope it works out for you.

:D

PS you will have to do some parameter time travelling as you tweek your force sizes and such but it is worth it. ;)

[ February 26, 2004, 11:05 PM: Message edited by: Emar ]

Also forgot to tell you that if you do this and you want a european setting the displayed date at the bottom will not be correct, ie. my Istibei scenario occured in April of 1941 but the parameters are set to Italy, 1944 in order to have grass and cold weather. That is ok as the units are all still labeled and equiped as 1940 allied units and I informed players in the briefing of the real date. tongue.gif

• 3 months later...