Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Tank Guns, pdr vs. mm

Can anybody tell me about how strong weapons of various pounder values are on the millimeter scale? Its really been bugging me that I can't figure out how strong the British tank guns are compared to the guns of other tanks.

------------------

"War is like a cat, it is easy to let out of the bag, but hard as hell to put back in!"

-Me

Guest machineman

2 pounder = 40 mm

6 pounder = 57mm

17 pounder = 76.2 mm. The popularity with the British of this rather odd size could be explained by it equaling 3 inches exactly.

Thanks for answering my question. Before I knew, I had been having nightmares about the 25 lbr. guns after one of my STUGs was taken out in one hit (side upper hull) by a six lbr. I'm glad to learn that 25 lbr guns aren't 4 times as good as 6 lbrs.

------------------

"War is like a cat, it is easy to let out of the bag, but hard as hell to put back in!"

-Me

Guest machineman

In a way the 'pounder' system does give a greater idea of size differences of the shells themselves. eg:

tankuk2.jpg

From left to right: 3pdr (47x376mm), 2pdr (40x304mm), 6pdr APDS (57x441mm), 75mm

(75x350mm), 17pdr APDS (76x583mm), 77mm (76x420mm), 3" Howitzer for close-support tanks(76x134mm), 95mm Howitzer for close-support tanks (95x206mm).

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~autogun/tankammo.html