Scenario maps ... but now for CMAK. Accurate maps for Gela sector and Italy ?

Yup ... I didn't find anything really accurate to make historical maps for some CMAK scenarios I've got in mind, especially taking place at Gela and in Italy as well.

(Once again :rolleyes: ) I'm looking for someone who's got interesting stuff to share smile.gif

Thanks

Paulus

PS : Links with maps of North Africa would be also welcome smile.gif

Von Paulus, I too am looking at Gela--for an op. Care to collaborate? I have enlisted the support of some ASL old-timers. I have the title and enough research books (books are always better [iMO] than websites). The idea is to make an op similar to the Campaign Game found in Talonsoft's West Front. Problem is, the actual battlefield may exceed the current map parameters in CMAK.

If you have something similar in mind and you are further along in the development then I could just join you, if you want additional help.

If your doing a battle, then I'll just continue with my op. There is no need for two identical ops when ONE great op will suffice.

Nice smile.gif

I agree that simulating the entire event of Gela may be a bit difficult. It is enormous because at first the battle lasted a lot of days.

If you want to make an operation it is possible to limit the action to the attacks of the HG division.

West Front's Gela Campaign really was great smile.gif

By the way, it may be possible to represent it in CMAK but it really needs a huge work that I can't assume.

For my part, I intended to simulate only four or five battles representing the first assaults conducted by the Italians.

Most of my sources come from that site : Comando Supremo

There is a very complete article about the energic but desperate assault launched by the Italians.

I also have some informations about the OOB implicated in the battle.

Then, it is worthwhile to share our informations about that mighty battle. Do you have some interesting stuff you can scan me ? (without damaging your books of course)

It would be nice smile.gif

So, in a nutshell, I did'n expect to make an operation for CMAK, it is really too huge, otherwise, it really is possible to simulate operations covering a part of one of the 3 attacking sectors.

As far as I'm conerned, I first feel like to represent Italian attacks, and maybe HG attacks, but I need to do more research on that point.

But to some extent I'm interested in us to cooperate. I'll send you all the interesting sources that I may found later.

I you've got some stuff to send me, email me at paulus10@9online.fr (My profile's mail is wrong). It woudl be great for me to have good informations about HG assaults, US point of view and everything about the battle.

I'll do the same for you if you need something.

For the moment, I mailed WWB for the maps. I have no answer but it is sure to come smile.gif .

Bye,

Paulus

Well, my server here in China can't access that link. Damn. For my part I am using books instead of webpages--books seem to be more reliable. There is plenty of info out there: We Led the Way (about the rangers), Rangers in WW2, Bitter Victory (Carlo D'este),The Battle for Sicily (Mitcham and Von Stoffenberg), Operation Husky (SWC Pack), Drop Zone Sicily (Breuer), Sicily; Whose Victory? (Martin Blumenson/Ballantine books)and other books aplenty on the Italian Theatre of Operations (Circles Of Hell, Tug of War, and others). The books listed are the only ones I have here in China, the rest are packed away back in the "States.

I don't have a scanner.

I also am having doubts, due to the size of the op. However, if you got one in mind on the Italians, then maybe I could focus on the HG attacks, and perhaps do a small op with the paratroopers trying to survive at Ponte Olivo and linkup with the beachead? A trilogy perhaps. I am still in the "hunter gatherer" stage with the info. I have enlisted the help Charlie Kibler--another ASLer and Mark Gallear. I don't care who gets the lion's share of the credit and kudos, I just want something good and FUN to play. Things are progressing, albeit slowly. Hey we have plenty of time to do something well.

I am a greedy modslut and feel that I have to give SOMETHING back to the CM community.

As soon as I collect and organize things better I will send you a quick email.

Hi tooz,

I'm just back from college smile.gif , my name would appear very strange to you (well, it's french), but my first name is 'François', sure you know that smile.gif

You're currently in China I see, that's very surprising smile.gif

First I maybe finally found some interesting stuff about maps with Emule. It is called " Tom tom maps All Italy" ... I hope it the type of maps we are looking. Do a search if you have Emule. Otherwise I'll told you about it when the D/L will be finished. Stay tuned smile.gif

You can't access ComandoSupremo.com ? I can send you then web article in a word file (.doc) anyway, if you're interested.

Thanks for the book reference on BFC, I'll see if I can have something about them.

I'm ok for joining your "Gela team", but my scenarios are first intended for a french strategy magazine who pays me for that stuff smile.gif (honestly I'm one of the most known in france for CM scenarios)

They'll forbid me to publish them on websites like the CM Depot for the first two months but they'll surely be ok for publishing them over the B&T site. Why not proposing them a "Gela Scenario Pack" ? Maybe they'll enjoy that idea.

So what did you begin for that kind of Gela Pack ? not much I think smile.gif , but there's no problem.

I think each designer will put his name on the scenario and the pack will be released with all our names. But once again, I think that cooperating with the B&T team could be sweet (if they want us to coop with them lol) smile.gif

Paulus

junk2drive, nice mod idea, but I believe that emblem patch was for the 5037 Composite... Regiment, (forget the complete appellation)er, Merrill's Marauders unit that fought in Burma. That sun on the top left corner is the 13 pointed white sun, symbol of the Guomingdang (or Kuomintang) Chinese army. Darby's Rangers had the simple curved stripe that reads "Rangers"--similar to what is worn by Captain Miller in "Saving Private Ryan".

But it DOES look cool as hell-and I like your 101st mod a lot--great job! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Rune's map is very interesting, but there's a complete pack of accurate maps covering the whole Italia on Emule.

Look for that : Italian Digital maps calibrated for touratech QV TTQV

It's only 81Mb to D/L.

Wood cover isn't represented but each road, house is indicated (even if it appears to be 1990's topography)

Very helpful anyway.

Paulus