Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

How in the hell is the end result calculated?

Yes, casualities and VP...but how exactly?

Simply enemy casualties - own casualties, based on the purchase points? Can't be, IMO. What's in assault battles, when the attacker has usualy higher casualties as the defender?

------------------

Keine Gefangenen!

Visit my Combat Mission Sound Mods site!

Use my uncensored Forum for all discussions that getting to hot for here.

Visit Scipiobase

Don't know for sure, but I found something at Dogs of War that was pretty good at explaining it. Might want to check their message board. Or you can take what I'm going to say as the Gospel truth and game on smile.gif

Fact: Captured units worth 2x as much

Fact: Knocked out crews are worth something

Fact: Big flags are 300 points, small flags are 150 points

Fact: Each unit costs something to buy

Fact: Running units off the map saves points

Guess: Add up ALL the points at the end of the battle from both sides (flags, captured units, units kept alive, killed, etc). Then take the allied points and divide by total points and do the same with the axis points. Then multiply by 100. Adding the axis points and the allies points will always result in a total score of 100. The victory level is then determined based on the ratio. So, for example, a score of 45-55 may be a draw whereas a score of 90-10 will be a total.

What you think?

------------------

Jeff Abbott

Tankersley, that happens when one or more flags are disputed. The points for the flag do not go to any side, then, meaning that both end up with scores less than 100. If all the flags are taken by one side or the other, the score adds up to 100 always.

BTW, the victory points calculation should be explained in fair detail in the manual. I haven't looked in there for a while myself, so I am not blaming anybody...

PS. By the way, it is a sign of a good scenario designer when he realizes and utilizes the way victory points are calculated as a balancing measure for the game. The amount and size (value) of the flags you put on the map have a direct influence on the victory points. Taking the assault scenario as an example - when you put a lot of flags on the map, the assaulting side will get away with much higher casualties and still win (representing a higher priority objective) if it can take the flags. If you put only a small flag on the map, casualties can reduce the outcome of the battle to a draw or even a loss. Decent playtesting should reveal this even when you don't know 100% in detail how VP's are calculated...

------------------

"An hour has 60 minutes, each minute in action has a thousand dangers."

- Karl-Heinz Gauch, CO 1st Panzerspähkompanie, 12th SS Panzerdivision

[This message has been edited by Moon (edited 02-07-2001).]

Originally posted by Moon:

BTW, the victory points calculation should be explained in fair detail in the manual.

I'm pretty sure it isn't. frown.gif

Cheers

Olle

------------------

Webmaster of Combat Mission för svensktalande, a CM site in Swedish. Norwegians, Finns, Danes and Icelanders are also welcome as members, others can still enjoy pictures and downloads.

Strategy is the art of avoiding a fair fight...

Detta har kånntrollerats av Majkråsofft späll-tjäcker.

Originally posted by Moon:

Tankersley, that happens when one or more flags are disputed. The points for the flag do not go to any side, then, meaning that both end up with scores less than 100. If all the flags are taken by one side or the other, the score adds up to 100 always.

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

Except ... can there be a roundoff error? I'm pretty sure (but not positive) that I've seen endgames with total points of say 99, with all flags accounted for.

------------------

Leland J. Tankersley