300 yards at night

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Aitken:

[QB]

Coming back to the original subject, in the dark, if you're wearing camouflaged clothes with a simple leaf pattern, you may tone in with your background, but in low light it makes no difference whether you're wearing green or orange. If you were to wear large patches of black and white, someone looking straight at you in the dark from a couple of metres away wouldn't be able to work out what they're seeing. In the dark a person appears as a dark shadow, so if they had big white blotches the shadow would be broken up and they'd be unidentifiable.

[QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup, when plaing it didnt matter much what a person wore as long as it was relatively dark with some light splotches (white t-shirts would tend to flouresce under the moonlight). The british night camo works relatively well I must say with its dark black and lighter lavender.. it also looks cool in the daylight ;) .. some people would play with all black fatigues but when moving or in the open they were pretty easy to spot, but if they got in next to a tree trunk they were invisible. One night I used American desert "chocolate chip" fatigues. It helped me much more to not become a dark splotch against a light background (most of the long grass during that time in Socal was a golden/light brown). It worked well, but was only concealment, I had no cover but I could work my way across fields where my darker clad counterparts were getting picked off. It really can be quite fun, but honestly the same effect can be had by using flashlights to tag someone vs a paintball. At night the ranges are much closer and even though we reduced the FPS allowed on the field those close in shots do sting.

Getting back to Normandy, I though I would relate a short night tale from my father-in-law. He landed at Normandy with the Canadians on D-Day:

He said that the weirdest thing was to stand sentry duty at night when there were Ghurkas around. Apparently they would silently crawl around in the dark, come up to someone and then reach around to feel their boots. If you were wearing boots with laces, you were fine. If there weren't any laces (i.e., German jackboots) you would soon be dead. But in either case, you never, ever saw the Ghurkas.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Banshee wrote:

It really can be quite fun, but honestly the same effect can be had by using flashlights to tag someone vs a paintball.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh man! That is brilliant! Why didn't I ever think of that?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>tar wrote:

If there weren't any laces (i.e., German jackboots) you would soon be dead. But in either case, you never, ever saw the Ghurkas.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gotta love them Gurkhas! Gotta watch what kind of boots you're wearing as well, apparently...