Forcing a Tank To Be Dug In At Scenario Beginning???

I'm working on a little campaign that will cover the initial days of the German attack on Stalingrad. The Russians had appx 60 tanks available to defend the city early on but most of them were in such bad shape they were dug in and used as static defense.

Is there any way in the scenario editor to define the tank in such a way that it must begin dug-in wherever the player decides to place it??? I've tried a few experiments and haven't found anything. If I dig-in without padlocking on the map-editor, the player still gets the movement orders for those tanks when the game starts.

I may end up replacing these damaged T-34's with pillboxes to simulate it.

p.

[ January 31, 2004, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: Peterk ]

Originally posted by Peterk:

...If I dig-in without padlocking on the map-editor, the player still gets the movement orders for those tanks when the game starts.

Good question.

If you intended the scenario for 2-player only, then you could state in the briefing that the player must dig-in his tanks. But he would be on the honor system with no way of the rule being enforced.

I like your idea of replacing them with pill-boxes. Then you know they can't move.

Ken

Originally posted by Peterk:

I'm working on a little campaign that will cover the initial days of the German attack on Stalingrad. The Russians had appx 60 tanks available to defend the city early on but most of them were in such bad shape they were dug in and used as static defense.

Is there any way in the scenario editor to define the tank in such a way that it must begin dug-in wherever the player decides to place it??? I've tried a few experiments and haven't found anything. If I dig-in without padlocking on the map-editor, the player still gets the movement orders for those tanks when the game starts.

I may end up replacing these damaged T-34's with pillboxes to simulate it.

p.

I´m currently playing the operation " death ride of the panzers". a t34 is dug in from the start so it is possible. maybe ask the guys who created that op.

Originally posted by __Yossarian0815:

I´m currently playing the operation " death ride of the panzers". a t34 is dug in from the start so it is possible. maybe ask the guys who created that op.

There is a dug in T-34, but the player can simply undig it during setup and than use it as any other tank.

The only way I know to fix a vehicle in place is to a) place the unit on the map, padlock it and than change the terrain to rough (or any other tank-impassable terrain). Voila, the player can still undig his tank but can no longer move it around.

Was the possibility to dig in tanks removed from the game? I remember playing against a friend (Beyond Overlord) and he set up the game so that the defenders be dug in and he complained to me that "those idiots" (meaning the Wehrmacht dudes) thus immobilized his StuGIII... I've never tried to make a tank a static defence myself, though, owning every game of the CM series...