mod question

I realize this may an impossible question to answer but hell I'll ask it anyway. If a body (me) wanted to start making mods where or how would that person (me) go to see how they are done or is it something that you just have to know how to do? redface.gif:D

In brief, I can tell you that I began modding by taking .bmp files into a paint program like Paintshop Pro and altering them to suit my tastes. I save the file (keeping the original in a safe folder or altering its name) and move the altered .bmp into the CMBO BMP folder. Begin the game and voila you are a modder!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hilhil45:

I have some questions about mods. When you make these are you editing the original vehicle or are you staring from scratch? Also what program do you use for colors and shading? :confused:<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use the original as a template, or as I call it, a coloring book, and basically just paint over it. I use Adobe Photoshop 6.01 but if you don't have that program, don't want to violate federal copyright laws, and don't have $X,XXX to spend on it, Paint Shop Pro 7x is a really good shareware program. =)

Kitty

To be fair, what CM'ers call modding, the rest of the gaming world calls skinning.

You can't change vehicle attributes or anything (not sure if that's what the first poster was asking), but you can change the paint job essentially smile.gif

Each object in CM has one or more BMPs associated with it that make up the hull, gun, sides, whatever. Changing their appearance changes their looks in game

PeterNZer

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>To be fair, what CM'ers call modding, the rest of the gaming world calls skinning.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Man, that brings back memories. I remember peeing my pants in excitement as a newbie when I heard that there was a large "mod" community for CM. I was let down when I found out it was just skining. But then I peed my pants again when I saw how awesome the skins/mods looked! :D