Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Thought I'd make this public so it's made clear

I received this e-mail from someone named Perchpole this Sunday afternoon and thought it should be answered here for others who may make the same mistake:

Tiger –

Let me start by stating that I believe you to be one of the best mod makers in CMBO community. You really appear to know your stuff – both artistically and historically. It’s for this very reason that I am more than a little confused! Exactly what have you done to the running gear of your latest StuG?

One of the first things I discovered when play-testing the game was that there was no independent representation of the StuG IV. Instead, BTS use a StuG III model – and call it a StuG IV! Unfortunately – and whether I like it or not – there doesn’t seem to be any way around this. In the end it’s probably best to ignore the problem until BTS release an add-on pack or some such thing.

You're absolutely correct, however BTS does include a "side" bmp for the SturmgeschutzIV, it's bmp # 4600. Other than BTS releasing a proper model for the SturmgeschutzIV, which by the way is unlikely to happen ever, there's not alot that can be done except with what we have (bmp 4600).

I was really impressed with your non-camo StuG skin. Then, today, someone made an announcement in the Battlefront.com forum, stating that you had updated the running gear. Naturally, I downloaded this update to take a look. What I discovered has left me dumbfounded! You have taken a perfectly good set of wheels and butchered them – for no good reason! Instead of 6 road wheels, the running gear now exhibits 8. I imagine that your intention is to represent the running gear of a StuG IV. If so, why not just edit the running gear of the Jagdpanzer IV – which was built on exactly the same chassis. At least then your new running gear would have the correct number of return rollers – which should be 4 instead of the present 3. Admittedly, you may have neglected to correct this error because the return rollers are typically hidden behind the schurzen – but even so! wink.gif

You've got me a little confused here. I modified bmp 4600, which is the SturmgeschutzIV side bmp, with the correct # of roadwheels (it has 8, like the PanzerIV tank chassis the SturmgeschutzIV is made from). This is the only bmp I modified, the StugIIIG still has the correct number of roadwheels and return rollers. Admitterdly, I did not put the fourth return roller on the SturmgeschutzIV 4600 bmp I redid. Why? Because you're not going to see it because of the schurtzen side skirts. It would be very easy to fix, but frankly it's not worth my time to fix something you can't see anyway. I'm sorry you feel I've butchered the stug bmp, but I have not. the StugIII's use a seperate side bmp (3270 IIRC) which has not been changed. Did you rename the 4600 bmp to overwrite the StugIII bmp? That would explain your problems.

Anyhow, even if you were to patch-up this one “offensive” BMP, what would happen to the genuine StuG III? If I were to use your updated BMP, each StuG III would be forced to use the running gear of a StuG IV – so what’s the point?

No this is incorrect. As I've said there are two seperate side hull/running gear bmps, one for the StugIII (3270 IIRC), another one for the SturmgeschutzIV (4600). You can use both and have the StuGIIIg and the SturmgeschutzIV mods. smile.gif

As I say, I truly admire your work, but your latest addition appears to be more than a little odd! Please do get back to me, as I’d genuinely like to know what inspired this development.

Correcting the correct bmp that needed correcting is all biggrin.gif

Why did I reply to your e-mail here? So others who make the same mistake will realize that there are two seperate bmps for the StuGIII and the SturmgeschutzIV. grab em both if you want!

wink.gif

Best Wishes

Perchpole

Same to you! smile.gif

-Tiger

PS--it's possible Manx mis-numbered the bmp when he re-added it to the one on his site and as a seperate download. I'll check into this. However his site appears to be down. I checked and know I have the correct bmp I sent to him (4600).

[This message has been edited by Tiger (edited 03-04-2001).]

Tiger...i know that the site is down at the moment, but heres what i did - the exact zip file you sent, containing just 4600.bmp is available to d/l as the update. I took this updated bmp and replaced the "faulty" version in the Full Mod Download and re-uploaded the whole lot again. So, both sets of downloads now contain the new 4600 you sent.

------------------

Manx - COMBAT MISSIONS

Resources for Big Time Softwares "COMBAT MISSION"

I know this question keeps popping up. But why is it that people still argue the point. Yes, the freakin' StuGIV uses the same 3D model as the StuGIII, but they both have their OWN side file. As we've said before, the StuGIII is 3270 while the StuGIV is 4600. Just as 4601 is the StuH42 gun.

------------------

"Upon my signal, unleash Hell."--General Maximus, Gladiator

"Aim small, miss small."--Mel Gibson, The Patriot

"I do what I likes, and I likes what I do."--Darrell Hammond (portraying Bill Clinton), SNL