Can on-map mortar teams shoot at stuff they don't have LOS to?

Bog

I can't seem to make the on-board (60mm, 8cm, and 2 inch) fire at enemies they don't have LOS to. This is annoying because usually by the time they have LOS to an enemy squad, the enemy squad has seen them and is shooting at them.

There is one exception. They can fire to TRP's that have been placed at games start even without LOS.

Use of HQ unit to sight for them is almost absolutely standard operating procedure. Without the HQ they are sitting ducks. Keep them hidden, in woods, behind hills, behind buildings. Have HQ sneak forward to establish LOS and voila!

------------------

If frogs had uzi's, snakes woudn't mess with them so much. - Hiram

Originally posted by Bog:

I can't seem to make the on-board (60mm, 8cm, and 2 inch) fire at enemies they don't have LOS to. This is annoying because usually by the time they have LOS to an enemy squad, the enemy squad has seen them and is shooting at them.

First off, did you read the manual? It's in there. Page 88 under Using HQs for Indirect Fire

Basically what it says is to set up your mortars in cover-behind hills, buildings, woods, etc and then have your HQ in LOS of the target. Make sure that the mortars are in C&C of the HQ. Now if the HQ can see the Target Area, then you can issue Fire orders for your Mortars.

Also, if you have a TRP (Target Reference Point-(the big bullseye looking thing in the Valley of Trouble scenario)), a mortar can target the TRP without having LOS--BUT ONLY IF THE MORTAR HASN'T MOVED.

Hope this helps.

------------------

"Upon my signal, unleash Hell."--General Maximus, Gladiator

"Aim small, miss small."--Mel Gibson, The Patriot