Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Ubertanks with Starcraft in mind

Guest Muslim_Bob

Guest Muslim_Bob

I play Starcraft a lot and the majority of players use "ubercarriers" which is a very popular strategy for begginers, sadly it works. Similarly the ubertank strategy is being used in CM and I think it's safe to say that this is a newbie strategy also. The people who put a vast sum of credits into power tanks don't have the skills to micro-manage a lightly armored vehicle so they shy away from lets say... Sturgeschutz which can be a very affective tank. The only way they know how to play is to select tanks with frontal armor that can counter majority of AT shells, they need a tank that can take large amounts of direct hits because they don't know how to effectivly maneuver the tank into strategic positions. Also these players tend to not really take any strategic activity with soldiers, no strategic positioning or the like, it all comes down to taking every infantry unit and plow right through enemy hands, sadly this works sometimes also.

But then you realise that those big ass tanks can be run around easily and taken out by a stuart (apparently). Then you become dissilusioned, and see the light. And you are now happy with a stug or Mk IV.

Woo hoo!

------------------

"I love it, God help me I do love it so"

My wife, a recovering Catholic, saw me set the church in Chance Encounter ablaze with tank fire and was mildly scandalized. I explained that I would have gladly left holy ground untouched, but that the germans had a machine gun in the damn place. - Terence

Hello Bob, welcome aboard. smile.gif

As you may soon realize, there is no such thing as "ubertank" as in CMBO, as opposed to SC/C&C:RA. I suggest you play the following tank-heavy scenarios (most of them comes with the CD):

Villers Bocage

South to Sword

August Bank Holiday V.2

The Magnificant Seven

Elsdorf - The Encounter

You shall see that many "cats" and heavies are pretty vunlerable to "soda can" tanks including M5 Straut or even M8 HMC.

Don't get your head blown off. All tanks come with some weak points, even in their frontal side there are skinny parts like access hatch, MG mounts, turret ring, etc. Not to mention skinner top/side/rear armor.

So the key is learn how to use them well.

Good hunting.

Griffin.

------------------

"When you find your PBEM opportents too hard to beat, there is always the AI."

"Can't get enough Tank?"

Get the CMSOD at Combat Missing Command Post (CMCP) at http://www.angelfire.com/games3/CMCP/

[This message has been edited by GriffinCheng+ (edited 03-23-2001).]

Griffin is right. On the Villiers-Bocage scenario I drilled Wittman's tank in the arse with a 37mm from a Stuart and took it down. They aren't invulnerable and as allies you just have to be clever - and fast.

And when the newbie starts to push through your lines with his ubertanks - let him - and then paste him in the side with PIAT rounds. Bear in mind he's paid 200pts+ for his heavy tanks, and your PIAT cost you around 20 smile.gif That's value for money.

------------------

"Woof!Woof!"

That's my other dog impression.

Guest Muslim_Bob

Very true Cheng, I'm very familiar with the Tiger tank, I know countless ways to take it out but that doesn't mean ubertanks won't happen. Eveyone knows the story of the Allied 75 vs. the frontal armor of the Tiger but heck with it, ya take 2 Sherman 75's pounding at the frontal Tiger armor and your bound to get good results, this isn't recommended though.

TIGER

Negatives:

-turret is just too slow, a hug advantage for enemy.

-turret is really really slow, I'm serious.

-reload times rather slow and even slower when you realise you just spent 15 seconds rotating the turret and then missing with a Firefly on your butt.

-Heavy, slow speed, bogs in weather, slow turning.

-Put all the slowness factors together and you've got a paperweight in tight situations, if you can't aim at the enemy you can't shoot him (think Stuart running circles).

Positives:

-Big, powerful, infantry surpressing, tank destroying, building bashing gun.

-Machine gun heaven and a nice 88mm mortar surprise for any jiv talkin' 'mericans that come near.

-Survivability. Sometimes, the majority of the time for some reason..., this tank survives. The balanced armor all around can pay off.

-Mean looking, makes your enemy think twice about engaging this plan or that plan. Lowers confidense or enemy when perched in a "sniper position" picking off infantry.

I've also done many tests with heavy tanks like the JagdTiger and King T. I put 3 stuarts againsts a King and got good, yet somewhat lucky results, I managed to poke him in the rear with my last Stuart as the beasts turret was 10meters from pointing right at me. It's pretty tough taking it out even from the rear and anyone who says otherwise is showing off. Also take note that the M18 Hellcat (I think, the one with the 76 and speed of 57mph right) can at times easily take out a King provided you have space to maneuver. This isn't taking infantry into account though.

Guest ckoharik

Originally posted by Muslim_Bob:

Very true Cheng, I'm very familiar with the Tiger tank, I know countless ways to take it out but that doesn't mean ubertanks won't happen. Eveyone knows the story of the Allied 75 vs. the frontal armor of the Tiger but heck with it, ya take 2 Sherman 75's pounding at the frontal Tiger armor and your bound to get good results, this isn't recommended though.

Yup, the Tiger is definitely not the fastest in the world. But, there have been numerous times when Tigers (both supported and unsupported) have ripped me a new one. One battle for fun I had something on the order of 13-14 Shermans (Mostly 75's with 2 76W+ thrown in) with some infantry and ACs take on 2 Tigers with a Hetzer, Wespe, and 2 Panzer IV's. Yes, I managed to take out the Hetzer (surprised the heck out of me), the Wespe, and 1 of the IV's but those damned tigers just wouldn't die. Front hits, side hits, even one rear hit (when I actually hit at all) and they just kept grinding their turrets around and blasting my guys to heck. Reminded me of one of those nasty nightmares where you see something happening in slow motion but are powerless to stop it. *shiver*

Very well, Bob. Nice read. smile.gif

BTW, I always find 1 Tiger IE worths more than 2 PzIVHs especially in infantry support role. The blast radius and the large amount of HE rounds gives very good bang of buck.

Not to mention the 88 gun can take on any Allied tank she comes across.

If you have not already aware, inexperienced troops may id any German panzers with turrets as "Tigers" at first. Well the name alone forces the Allied commanders to rethink his/her plan. biggrin.gif

Anyway, hope you try different combinations and enjoy the game more. The game is deep that it takes long to exhaust it.

Again, good hunting, commander.

Griffin.

------------------

"When you find your PBEM opportents too hard to beat, there is always the AI."

"Can't get enough Tank?"

Get the CMSOD at Combat Missing Command Post (CMCP) at http://www.angelfire.com/games3/CMCP/