Is the PzIIL vulnerable to .50 cal?

Well I just did a test on the matter.

I placed 2 Lynx's on an island surrounded by 10 .50 teams. In a matter of about 45 seconds or so, both Lynx's Abandoned. I don't know if this had to do with just a morale problem with the TCs not being able to escape the area or what. But they did take a large pounding of .50 cal fire for about 40 seconds though.

So take it for what it's worth.

------------------

For your dream car click here.

For a Close Encounter click here.

Hey look! I can see my house!

And for all you Hamster Lovers out there, check this out! Kitty, this one's for you!

JunoReactor,

Based on a quick look at a few reference books, the answer would appear to be:

Frontally

Spitting distance only barring weak point hit

Side and rear

Yes, and from a fair distance. Please bear in mind that the .50 cal MG is quite capable of shooting right through the side of a Hetzer, and that's sloped. Remember also that the .50 cal. was designed to not only shoot people but kill tanks (every sixth or seventh round in belt was AP). I saw "History Year by Year" for 1936 on the History Channel, and the newsreel commentator on a piece about U.S. military exercises (showed water cooled .50s being fired from AA mounts) made a big point of discussing the weapon's triple threat capabilities vs.men, aircraft and tanks.

It seems to me that a tank of this period, and a Panzer IIL definitely is, added armor notwithstanding, should be vulnerable, and the test Maximus ran seems to confirm this, albeit with only one trial. I recall a penetration figure of around 27mm being discussed here on the board, but don't remember whether that was at 100 or 200 meters.

Hope this helps.

John Kettler